Thinking about getting a dual sport

I'm looking into getting a dual sport bike. Ive been poking around on CL, but I quickly realized i don't really know what models to search for. I know about the DR's an Klx's or klr's, whatever kawi calls them.

I'm not to picky about brand, and I'm trying to keep it under $1500 so I'm figuring a '90s model is what I'd be looking at. I want over 300cc though. I ride my buddies wr250x all the time, that thing is a slug. How would a DR 650 compare in power to my YZ250?

What do you all think would be a good bike for me? Ive got my YZ for playing around off road, so I'm mostly gonna be street riding around town.

Any factory DS will feel like a slug compared to your YZ. The best I know of in that price range are:

DR350

DRZ400

DR650

KLR650

XR650l

I think that the DR350 or DRZ400 would be best for you! The 650's are tanks with little power, I've ridden the KLR, and have owned the 650L (uncorked). Never compare a factory 4t DS to a 2t MX bike in power, you just flip the torque #'s with the HP #'s and you'll be close. For riding around town just find the best deal that you can, test it, if you can stomach riding it, buy it. I went overboard here all I have mentioned are great bikes!

i have ridden my friends xr 400, its heavy, but its a nice bike for crusing on the streets and riding trails. You might need to put tailights on it though cuz those were not included i think. It wont feel anything like a yz250 though

I like the XR400, it looks good, and one of my friend's has a 400ex. I would assume that motor on a bike would be alright power wise. But getting one titled for street use in Florida would be a real pain in the ass.

I'm leaning towards the DR350, I think its the best looking DS, and I can always take off the big old tag and light bracket and make something smaller.

This vid makes it look pretty fun too, that jump is as big as anything I do on my YZ

How would the DR350 compare power wise to the WR250x?

Also, whats considered a lot of miles for a bike?

I like my DR 350, but I would in no way compare it to my 2 strokes. Mine is stock, with the CV carb (that is modded with the t-vent, and a re-jet). I think that's the main hang-up with theses. If you get one, see if you can save a few hundred up and put a pumper carb on it (either from the dirt version, or a new TM-33). I've heard that REALLY wakes it up.

I've got 12,xxx on mine. Original piston, rings, etc. Shows no sign of giving up yet. I may go ahead and rebuild it at about 15K to just to stay ahead of things, but these old DR motors (like XR's) are built to last for about ever.

One other bike you may consider is an older big bore 2 stroke dual sport. A DT 400 weighs about what the DR weighs and has about 10 more hp.👍 They'll also run forever on original parts and you'll smoke (literally) about any other mid-sized dual-sport.🤣