Want to Make 250X road legal

The requirements vary a little state to state. Look up what you need.

Check out http://www.dualsportamerica.com/dsa-barely-legal-kit.html for the kit (brake light, license plate light, plate mount, high beam, horn, ignition)

I know that some people have had issues with DST, but everything was perfect for me. Kit is easy to install and with a couple of mirrors satisfied DMV plating my bike.

The requirements vary a little state to state. Look up what you need.

Check out http://www.dualsportamerica.com/dsa-barely-legal-kit.html for the kit (brake light, license plate light, plate mount, high beam, horn, ignition)

I know that some people have had issues with DST, but everything was perfect for me. Kit is easy to install and with a couple of mirrors satisfied DMV plating my bike.

That looks like a good kit for what it is but you had the right idea, you'll likely need blinkers, blinker switch, horn, horn switch, front brake light switch and don't forget a mirror.

I always suggest junk yards, most have bike "piles". If you only need that stuff temporarily to get inspected you might as well rape and pillage a wreck for all that stuff. Its not so much the lights but the controls and switches are expensive.

If you wanted to go 100% legit and are going to ride on the street on a regular basis I would get a Baja Designs Kit like this -->

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-121052/Dual+Sport+Kit%2c+'04-on+Crf250x+%26+'05-'07+Crf450x

Oh and one last thing.... That 15 amp main fuse your going to blow while your figuring out your wiring is actually buried in the connector. Its not the one you see when you pull off the side cover. Thats the spare.

• 3 months later...

Rick, great information on this page. I just installed a TUSK lighting kit on my 250X. Installation was easy and it looks great. I was wondering, could you elaborate on the wiring for the headlight to get high/low beam working off the switch? My kit instructions do not explain this. There are 3-wires coming from the switch, headlight main(into the switch), low beam (out), high beam (out). The 250X headlight looks like it has 2 wires, GRD and the outer most wire on the bulb. The middle connection is not wired.

Secondly, is high beam one element, or both elements lit? If both, can the electical system handle both elements lit (limited to 35W)?

and... just for grins, how did you get past the non-DOT tires when registering in Colorado. After I get this hi/lo beam straightened out I am heading to Colorado DMV myself but I don't have DOT tires.

Update: Found the answer to the headlight question. I am guessing the Hi/Lo beam elements are independent of each other, and must be of different wattage. So simply take the current hot lead to the head light, wire it to the headlight main on the switch, then connect the lo to lo and the hi to hi from the switch to the bulb.

Edited by desmolift
Found the answer to the headlight question... sorry

i personally wouldnt make a crf of any kind street legal. I think a guy would have in worn out in less than six months if you were riding it daily. i dont think it would be worth it. if i were to make any dirt bike street legal i would do an xr. like a 400 or a 600 or something of that nature.. they get awesome mileage and they're super reliable

All good advice on dual sport options, I went with DSA but I did have some issues with reliability. Don't let anyone convince you its a bad idea...I have been riding my 2004 on street for the last 2 years and it definitely puts a grin on my face when I don't have time to hit the trails.

IMG_5114.jpg

i personally wouldnt make a crf of any kind street legal. I think a guy would have in worn out in less than six months if you were riding it daily. i dont think it would be worth it. if i were to make any dirt bike street legal i would do an xr. like a 400 or a 600 or something of that nature.. they get awesome mileage and they're super reliable

My guess is you are not understanding the need to be street legal. I have had my crf250x since 2004 in California. In California, I found no need to plate my bike simply because I mostly rode in OHV parks and never needed to hit the street. Not to mention in California its a uphill battle to get plated. But since moving to Colorado and riding the Rockies, you need to hit the street from time to time, either to get from trail head to trail head or just to gas up. Being street legal allows you to do this without constantly looking over your shoulder. Most all dirtbikes I see here are plated, and therefore street legal (mostly). When I want to hit the street hard, I sit on a Ducati.😏

I JUST DID THIS TO MY 250X AND USED THE ONE FROM SICASS RACING. I HAVE OTHER THINGS FROM THEM ON MY KTM AND THEIR STUFF IS IN MY OPINION THE BEST IN TERMS OF LOOK AND QUALITY. SOME OF THE OTHER KITS WORK OK BUT CAN BE A BIT GOOFY LOOKING, but this is a personal preference thing in terms of what you like and prefer in terms of safety.

i wish i could say who i used to get mine road legal but i have been sworn to secrecy. what i can say is California is the toughest place to do this conversion, Idaho might be easier. i have heard that some people have had issues with a certain mr racer and others have gone to a couple of guys....... who love dual sport.....

Sean