Edelbrock carb issues (I think)

I have a 2005 XR650r that is uncorked with stock exhaust and the edelbrock pumper series Carb. Newer version. I have loved this carb but as of recent I want to throw it away!!!

My problem is this. My bike started dying just after I would climb a good size hill and peeked over the top causing all sorts of issues. My bike would also do the same thing when in the sand dunes climbing a hill and then coming to a stop and the bike would want to die. I decided to clean my carb and checked out everything. The carb was a little dirty but not bad so put it back together and I must have bumped the floats because it would cut out bad in 5th Gear full throttle. I have since fixed the float issue but my problem still remains.

If I pull on the clutch and the front brake hard the bike will just die!

If I pull on the clutch and go down a steep hill the bike wants to die and idles very low or it cuts out completely. This caused me to endo in the dunes because I had no power to my back tire.

I have checked for Lean or Rich conditions several times. The carb has been in and out of the bike at least 6 times and my wife wants to kill me.

I made sure that in Decel the bike is not poping. I have checked the plug and it is a nice light tan color. I put a new plug in. If I ride on the trail or road in relatively flat cricumstances, the bike runs great. What is wierd is that I can Wheelie as long as I want without any problems but as soon as I rev the bike high and any gear and then pull on the clutch and brake it just dies.. Or climb any small hill and as I crest over the hill the bike will die.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I either need to get this problem fixed. Sell my bike. or get a new carb I guess.

hehehehe ... I had the same (even worse) issues with Eddy Pumper Carb (s) (I tried two NEW ones with the same results) and eventually decided that Eddy carbs are good for about three months .... then the rubber AP pumps in them start degrading/disintegrating (along with other part failures), so .... I swapped them/it out for an FCR and haven't had any problems since. Good luck finding any rebuild parts too (I never had any luck). 👍

Iv'e never liked the design of the float and needle on that carb,the way the needle lays sideways.It looks like a design for a presure type fuel system.If everything on the float and needle isn't perfect,i would think it would have the problem that your having.

I bought mine used last year and it still works flawless.(so far)

So do you think that the carb is starving for fuel or is there too much fuel? I can't wrap my brain around why it would cut out so quickly buy just applying the brake. The needle and intake jet are deep into the bowl so I just wonder what is actually happening.

So do you think that the carb is starving for fuel or is there too much fuel? I can't wrap my brain around why it would cut out so quickly buy just applying the brake. The needle and intake jet are deep into the bowl so I just wonder what is actually happening.

Offhand, it sounds like your float is set too low. The fuel intake needle and seat do need a good cleaning occasionally, dosen't take much varnish to gum it up. There is 1 tiny check ball in the AC pump well, 1 small needle in a hole by the bowl, you didn't lose that during the rebuild? No vacuum leaks on the intake? Correct valve lash? Not sure what the problem is, just throwing out ideas.

All good considerations. I have had the carburator out 8 times. The carb is soo clean I could eat off it. The needle looks very clean and I even took a small emery cloth to nock down any burs or anything that would cause it to catch. I checked for the "check" needle to ensure it was still there and cleaned it several times. The Check Ball is in place and everything is clean with the Accelerator pump. The float levels come up about half way on the needle seat. I have even ordered a new needle and seat to eliminate that possible cause. To me it seems like there is too much fuel in the bowl and it causes it to flood. If the bike is idling and I lift the back tire on to a bucket the bike dies instantly. Man this is driving me crazy and I don't have $700 to buy an FCR carb. Edlebrock says they think it is the needle and seat but I cannot figure as to why that would cause the problem but here's to hoping!!!