Handy tip to prevent engine damage from transit

Remember to turn off your fuel tap when you transport your bike.

With the engine not running and the floats wishy washy around flooding is easy, it can fill a cylinder and bend a rod on start up or worse you can fill the crank with petrol, methanol or nitro, whichever is your poison, engines do explode easy and BIG TIME.

Just a tip for happy riding.

Matt 👍

Question on this regarding 2 strokes

If I run it for a bit with the gas to the off position will it hurt the bike? This in my mind will help to drain the carb just a little bit to make sure it does not spill at all out the overflow during transport. I am talking like less than one minute of run time.

I had a bike that would always smell during transport in my enclosed trailer and was told by one of my buddies that he runs his until it quits with the gas off before it get's in the trailer. The problem is that I have heard him do this and when the gas gets real low in the carb the bike screams for a few seconds, I assume that this is cause it is running lean. I do not run it that long, and I have not had a gas smell issue again. So I do this with all the bikes now before getting put away.

Sorry just noticed you mention the bike screaming when it starts to run out of fuel, I actually went over the top of a berm because my friends thought it would be funny to turn my fuel tap *OFF*. Needless to say when I was going around the berm the bike absolutely screamed its nuts off and pushed me off the edge 👍

*sorry about the off-topic post, just thought I should warn people LOL*

LOL, I have warned the boys about that, they still thought it was funny until....

My 14 year old spent a little to much time riding and not enough time coming in and filling his tank. He was running on vapors and blew a berm because according to him "the gas is sticking". We checked everything for like an hour, until I checked the gas and he was literally on fumes. He learned a very valuable lesson that day. Before you take off for a ride, fill the stupid tank, it only takes an extra two minutes.

I always pull the piston out before transporting, that way no one is going to 'borrow' my bike for a quick ride when I'm not paying attention...

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

I hope you dont do that everytime you transport your bike to the track LOL???

You know a airboot cover can have a similar effect and wont cost you an hour and gasket each time.

Question on this regarding 2 strokes

If I run it for a bit with the gas to the off position will it hurt the bike? This in my mind will help to drain the carb just a little bit to make sure it does not spill at all out the overflow during transport. I am talking like less than one minute of run time.

I had a bike that would always smell during transport in my enclosed trailer and was told by one of my buddies that he runs his until it quits with the gas off before it get's in the trailer. The problem is that I have heard him do this and when the gas gets real low in the carb the bike screams for a few seconds, I assume that this is cause it is running lean. I do not run it that long, and I have not had a gas smell issue again. So I do this with all the bikes now before getting put away.

Or you could just lean the bike over and let the float bowl drain a bit before you load up.