KTM LC4 (1994) + Trail tech and oil question

I have bought a trail tech for my LC4 but now I need to do the wiring for the Tachometer.

I have read that when you put the red cable of the RPM-sensor on your plug-cable, then it isn't that accurate. So I wonder which cable also gives a pulse to messure the RPM´s. I have tried all cables that are on my ignition coil. But some gave a reading, but that was 12 000 rpm 👍

and the next question...

I have bought Bel Ray EXS 10W50 4L synthetic oil, but now my clutch is slipping. Is this the wrong oil for my ktm? After riding for 10km it seems the slipping is getting less. How's that possible and should I take other oil? Someone adviced to take 0w40 - is that an option?

I use Motorex because that is what the factory recomends. I know that Honda warns against using automobile oil because of friction additives having a negative impact on the wet clutch. If the oil you put in has a friction additive not recomended for wet clutch it might slip at first then get better over time as the additive breaks down. If I were you I would check the clutch plates for wear, replace them if they are worn out of spec and wipe them off if they are within spec then change your oil to Motorex.

I wonder how many LC4 members there are out here? Every time I post to any other exotic bike forum I get a good amount of replies but here at the LC4 forum it's like crickets chirping is all you hear back.

Sorry to hijack your thread but...

I recently bought an 03 SXC 625 and I am having a problem with oil as well, my problem is I overfilled the oil and it is coming out the breather. I was wondering what I should do after lowering the oil level? I cleaned the air filter but the oil keeps coming, is there a drain for the frame vent or something?...

Edited by Yamahondaha

I recommend you check the label on the oil you bought, the friction reducing additives can become embedded in the friction material on your clutch plates, which requires replacement. The Honda oil mentioned in the previous reply has Molybdenum Di-sulfide (Moly). This will indeed make your clutch slip. As for the Trail Tech wiring, I don"t have any specific experience with them, however, in most cases I find the tach wire wraps around the spark plug lead wire. As the electricity passes through the wire on the way to the spark plug, it creates a magnetic field that the tach wire picks up and processes as one cycle for the four cycle engine. There is probably a way it can switch from reading a two stroke to reading a four stroke engine. Check the unit to make sure if the RMP's measured seem excessive, remembering that a two stroke fires on every rotation. Hope that helps.

I have changed the oil and filters several times before with no problems and following factory recommended procedures. It appears that one of the external oil feed lines was partially pinched in half where a small rock got got stuck between the oil line and the frame. I even seem to remember the gravel road in Baja where i likely picked up the unwanted traveler during a low speed tip over. Bad luck for sure but at least it left me stranded near home and not while still in Mexico.

I'm not sure why the slipping clutch would go away when the engine is warm unless the steel plates may warp slightly with heat and thereby increase the overall width of the clutch pack. Even though it reduces the contact surface area,the pressure of the springs would increase and may provide the additional pressure to keep it from slipping. It sounds far fetched I know but it still points to a clutch rebuild to resolve the problem. How many miles are on that clutch pack? Are you riding in heavy traffic or on city streets with a lot of stop and go? Are you typically hard on clutches (clutch slipping and hard take offs)? The oil change and clutch slip might be a coincident and the clutch may have already been on its way out. If its cable operated also check the cable for fraying, if its hydrolic check for air in the system. According the the Bel-Ray website, that oil is clutch friendly and should not have caused the problem. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

On the Trailtech issue, I would send trailtech an email outlining your problem, they are nice people and will be glad to help.

As far as your clutch issue I'd change your oil to a different brand without Moly in it.

The guy that overfilled his oil, drain out the sump until you get the correct level, lesson learned!

Bel Ray EXS won't cause your clutch to slip. My guess is you have either a misadjusted clutch or the health of the clutch is marginal at best. The clutch is pretty simple on an LC4, IF you use a factory shop manual and pay attention to detail.