DIY: Spark screen on an OEM silencer

This is how I put a spark screen on my stock muffler with stuff in my garage in less than ten minutes. (2009 200XCW)

I robbed a spark screen from an old beater muffler from my 450X and cut it to fit in the groove in behind the nut that retains the end cap.

Notice how the screen is a little larger in diameter than the retaining nut. This is so the screen does not get blown out from exhaust pressure.

IMG_4143.jpg

The screen sits in the groove and is held in place by the aluminum nut. Yeah! It’s really that simple!

IMG_4144.jpg

I’ve put only around 5 hours on with this setup but have had zero problems. Smokey the Bear likes it too.

👍

• Helpful 1

If it makes you feel good then great but don't expect the rangers to pass it.

All legal SA's have to have U.S. Forestry Approved stamped into them.

I think it's probably functional enough, but suspect Layton's right about Smokey Bear.

If it makes you feel good then great but don't expect the rangers to pass it.

All legal SA's have to have U.S. Forestry Approved stamped into them.

This it true. No doubt.

When a ranger sees the screen they just keep on walking to the next bike not bothering to look for USFS stamp. Maybe it's because my bike is plated they assume it is legit?

I am sure it is functional, because it looks exactly like the one on my EE. However, I think it does need to be stamped. However, I have never been checked. Ran in to rangers a half dozen times and they never checked my pipe, checked tabs and flags (in the dunes), but they have never looked at my or any of my friends tail pipes (no DB test either, but we dont race)

This it true. No doubt.

When a ranger sees the screen they just keep on walking to the next bike not bothering to look for USFS stamp. Maybe it's because my bike is plated they assume it is legit?

True story!

A few years ago 2 of my friends were riding the trails in Michigan when a ranger stopped them. One of my friends was riding a mx bike but he had a SA on the bike. The first thing the ranger checked was to see if the mx bike had a SA.

The other bike was a EXC KTM with lights etc but NO SA. The ranger never even looked at the KTM because he assumed it would have a SA. Good thing he never checked or my friend would have had a ticket.👍

How come do you need a spark arrestor on a Two Stroke? Is it even possible for it to backfire? I've never seen (or heard) that happen...

Thats right but thats our goverment they know better. You are lucky you live in Canada where you guys have some awsome trails in BC and no spark arrestor needed. 👍

Actually in BC the requirements are changing very fast. If you ride in a sanctioned area like Bear Creek in Kelowna you need to have a SA now and pass a DB test. They say that in the next 1-2 years we will all have to have registered bikes and make sure that we have SA's and have passed a DB test to ride anywhere. The fines will be pretty severe here I am told if you are caught without. Valleymoto sport here has offered Q series pipes at almost cost to help get everyone changed over. I know a bunch of guys that have stepped up and changed their pipes over already.