Motos and Deer Whistles

I have seen several threads where Deer Whistles are promoted as a way to "alert deer" that you are coming down the road. Below is one study that begs to differ. If they hear the whistle at all... in many cases they just stop and go "what's that?" and wait for you to run into them... just like the headlight syndrome.

Love it when guys have their dogs in a rig that have the whistles on them..if they worked wouldn't it drive the dogs nuts?

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1677/eb1677.html

Some say they work they have never hit a deer since putting them on...I've lived in deer country all my life...I've never hit a deer without them.

(not to say one of the damn things won't get me today....)

I've heard and read a bunch that they simply don't work. Good idea but a failed product. I would NEVER rely on one to protect me and my XR from deer.

They are just money makers for the people selling them.

Deer aren't all that smart. Once one ran into the side our our SUV. We saw them in front of us, we slowed down, they crossed and when we went past, one was spooked and literally turned and ran full blast into the side of our damn car. I woulda taken the backstraps but it ran off. 👍

I've heard and read a bunch that they simply don't work. Good idea but a failed product. I would NEVER rely on one to protect me and my XR from deer. They are just money makers for the people selling them.

Yup. I think this is exactly accurate. If you want to know about riding near animals, read this thread from ADVRider: Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650. Skip down to post #39.

Loud Exhaust? Can't they hear that better after you have already gone by? Or do you drive real slow and rev the engine a lot?

I saw the thread the other day about "Loud exhaust saves lives"...Pretty curious, particularly when dealing with humans. the person that hits you will not have seen or heard you and may not even know he hit you.

Moose running from loud noise I dunno? Deer don't consistently run from anything...And that sums it up, ya just gotta be proactive, there's something (deer, moose, car, truck), around every corner; coming out of every drive..

hd

I have seen several threads where Deer Whistles are promoted as a way to "alert deer" that you are coming down the road. Below is one study that begs to differ. If they hear the whistle at all... in many cases they just stop and go "what's that?" and wait for you to run into them... just like the headlight syndrome.

Love it when guys have their dogs in a rig that have the whistles on them..if they worked wouldn't it drive the dogs nuts?

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1677/eb1677.html

Some say they work they have never hit a deer since putting them on...I've lived in deer country all my life...I've never hit a deer without them.

(not to say one of the damn things won't get me today....)

I'm one of those "some say" people who has used them an never hit a deer/moose. I imagine like any product, that some of them are made better than others and are more effective. The theory behind them is that they alert the animal to your presence well before you get near them and if they're the type to bolt quickly when startled that they'll do it before you get near them.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that having a set of them installed on your bike that you can throw caution to the wind and just blaze ahead WOT when you're in an area that's prone to having wildlife on/near the road. Just like riding in the concrete jungle, you always have to be watching for the unexpected, and even then things can get FUBAR in a hurry ... even to the best of us, like what happened to Clayton on his trip from Seattle to Argentina .... RIP Clayton. 👍