What is the least needed for stroker & BB

ok so i have been asking some questions on the forum the last few days, i got most my answers and a lot from searching.

i decided i want the hot rods +4mm crank and the JE Piston BB on ebay for my DRZ400SM. from what i read, some people say you need a 41mm and then some say the fcr 39mm is better with lighter mods (no rhc 187's) well here are my mods. i want to order the stroker and BB right now, but won't if i need the 41mm fcr. eddie whats your opinion on this setup?

My setup now:

FCR 39mm Older Style Slant Body (eddie's jetting specs)

Yoshimura Cams

E model Airbox, intake manifold, & CDI

K&N Filter

Yoshimura Exhaust (older dirt model with a Fat Header)

MCCT

Vortex rear alum sprocket 41t

Edited by Turbophein

Well seeing as how your setup is similar to mine I'll give you my opinion...

I have a 400e (fcr39, ecams) bigbore w/ stock e exhaust. =44hp

Adding a MRD/SSW pipe would get me to 48-49hp

Adding just the stroker without upgrading the valves and cams would not get me much more. Basically what I am saying is unless you are going to upgrade the full package why waste the time/money upgrading the stroke when bigbore, good pipe, ecams will get you to the same hp level that you would get if you upgrade the way you are suggesting. With your SM cams you will be limiting it even more.

The fcr39 vs 41 bigbore+stroker question is something I would love to see a dyno on. Anyone have a dyno of a bb+stroker with upgraded cams, valves and pipe with fcr39mm and then with fcr41mm? I guess while we are at it what about a dyno for a bb+stroker with Ecams, and pipe with fcr39mm

I'll add... why piss away $ on Yosh cams, they are no better than Hot Cams. You need the right valves and springs if you are running anything other than stock cams too.

E CDI is pointless

Your Exhaust is the big restriction. You'll be lucky to see 45 hp with it. And the 41 would be a huge mistake with it too.

my 2 sences is to ship the hole motor to Eddie befor you go buying Ebay part

as far as I know Eddie some times offers better prices on BBkits than Ebay

as for as the 41mm FCR carb ---- if you have the 39mm in hand you will be happy with it

why would i ship my motor to eddie???

if eddie will sell me a BB kit for $355 or less then sure i would buy from him.

and that doesn't answer my carb question, thanks though

Well seeing as how your setup is similar to mine I'll give you my opinion...

I have a 400e (fcr39, ecams) bigbore w/ stock e exhaust. =44hp

Adding a MRD/SSW pipe would get me to 48-49hp

Adding just the stroker without upgrading the valves and cams would not get me much more. Basically what I am saying is unless you are going to upgrade the full package why waste the time/money upgrading the stroke when bigbore, good pipe, ecams will get you to the same hp level that you would get if you upgrade the way you are suggesting. With your SM cams you will be limiting it even more.

The fcr39 vs 41 bigbore+stroker question is something I would love to see a dyno on. Anyone have a dyno of a bb+stroker with upgraded cams, valves and pipe with fcr39mm and then with fcr41mm? I guess while we are at it what about a dyno for a bb+stroker with Ecams, and pipe with fcr39mm

i wasn't looking for HP numbers, just to know if my fcr39mm will work with the stroker and BB without running lean or unreliable. please reread my original post please!

I'll add... why piss away $ on Yosh cams, they are no better than Hot Cams. You need the right valves and springs if you are running anything other than stock cams too.

E CDI is pointless

Your Exhaust is the big restriction. You'll be lucky to see 45 hp with it. And the 41 would be a huge mistake with it too.

i guarentee a stock exhaust will get you more than 45hp with the right setup, so i disregard you opinion.

I might remove the E CDI to help relieve the valve springs a little at high rpm.

my bike has 2700 miles now, only 700 miles with the mods i have currently... the valve springs should be good for a while longer

i guarentee a stock exhaust will get you more than 45hp with the right setup, so i disregard you opinion.

I might remove the E CDI to help relieve the valve springs a little at high rpm.

my bike has 2700 miles now, only 700 miles with the mods i have currently... the valve springs should be good for a while longer

I'd recommend you listen to William. He's been there and done that, as they say.

If you think you can make 45 h.p. with the stock exhaust you're mistaken.

I'd recommend you listen to William. He's been there and done that, as they say.

If you think you can make 45 h.p. with the stock exhaust you're mistaken.

i read a lot and i take everything in... if you read the tale of a 57hp DRZ400SM you would know what i mean.

directly quoted from that thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by William1 View Post

Nice torque curve too. Almost is flat after the peak, minimal drop off. I like it. Next fall, my engine is going to be done.

Eddie, I know this will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, but how much damage do you think a stock exhaust would do to that? Would want to run a E header to a SM muffler. I want to remain as stealthy as possible with the only significant noise being intake (I can modulate that!)

Quote by Eddie:

alot.probably 5-6hp.

so 5-6 hp from 57HP give or take 1-2 hp is still more than 45hp, yes the Yoshi Ti and MRD are great exhaust systems, but the way everyone puts down anything other than those exhausts is just retarded IMHO, i think it will only add 3-4 hp the most with all the mods i have and a stroker & BB kit, and thats being generous... is it worth it, yes if you don't have a exhaust yet, should you buy them if you already own a exhaust, NO! i would much rather spend $300 on a stroker than $500 on a exhaust just to gain 1 maybe 2 hp( without the stroker & BB kit installed), especially when i have a yoshi exhaust from a E-model already. it just doesn't make sense... that will probably be the last thing i buy, after the motor is built.

i wasn't looking for HP numbers, just to know if my fcr39mm will work with the stroker and BB without running lean or unreliable. please reread my original post please!

Running lean?👍 Why would it run lean? Because of the 39?

Dude..You are clueless..

First... that's with a +5mm crank, eddies spacer plate, Eddie's porting, oversized valves, and hand massaged cam timing.

But just reading over the other comments... I think you are about to win the "if you don't what our opinion, then why the heck did you ask" award. And, the prize for that is... people will just responding to your posts. Well... at least the people who know.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

First... that's with a +5mm crank, eddies spacer plate, Eddie's porting, oversized valves, and hand massaged cam timing.

But just reading over the other comments... I think you are about to win the "if you don't what our opinion, then why the heck did you ask" award. And, the prize for that is... people will just responding to your posts. Well... at least the people who know.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

i only posted that because someone started talking about my exhaust not making over 45hp, that was just to prove a point.

the only advise i was looking for was mainly if my fcr 39mm would work for meith the stroker and BB, without having to get the 41mm, or maybe some valve springs.

when everybody starts getting the i know everything attitude, when they don't even read the original post! people are talking about sm cams and e cams, why waste money on yoshi cams. i already have the yoshi's so what are they even talking about. if they don't want to read the whole post thats fine, just don't post non-sense like (just send your motor to eddie) eddie is great but in no way do i need someone to build my motor...

your pipe,carb and cams will not support a 470cc motor.

if you want to build a 470 with that stuff and just want to say you have a 470? cool.

but dont be suprised when a well set up 436 motor pulls away from you.

39mm vs 41mm has nothing do with "being lean".

your pipe,carb and cams will not support a 470cc motor.

39mm vs 41mm has nothing do with "being lean".

thats a answer i was looking for, i am not trying to be cool by saying i have a 470, i just want some more power.

so what other supporting mods would be needed?

what kind of other setup do you recommend?

What would be in a well setup 436?

please don't say a MRD or Yoshi Ti, i am not woried about the exhaust right now... thats for the future!