Hone???

I'm rebuilding the top end on my 2005 CRF450R. I took the cyclinder to a local macine shop to have them inspect it. I figured it would at least need to be honed. He said that it couldn't be honed because of the coating thats on there. He said it looked fine. I just wanted to know if the cyclinder really can't be honed or not. I've been out of the game for about 10 years. I always remember that you could hone it bore it out if it needed it. Doesn't sound like you can do that anymore.

Thanks

I know some replace the piston and rings without honing. I bought a glaze breaker hone at Sears and used a cordless drill and soap and water to put some new cross hatching in. I'm told it helps to seat the rings at break-in. It definitely can’t hurt anything – that coating is really hard. I tried the scotch brite method and I couldn’t put a scratch in that coating.

I know some replace the piston and rings without honing.

I just did. I have 40 hrs. on my current jug, pulled it and it looked MINT. Not one vertical scratch, and a beautiful cross hatch all the way around. Cleaned it up and scrubbed the bore with a green scotch pad and it looks brand new. From what I've gathered as long as there is a good cross hatch still there, your good.

If I recall correctly, Ron Hamp stated in a previous thread that you need a "diamond type hone" because of the nikasil?????? Not 100% sure, and I don't want to speak for him, I just think I saw that stated somewhere.

A: Pretty sure a diamond hone on a nicasil bore is a BAD idea (at least if you want to use it again).

B: Mellenium Technologies and JE pistons techs even approves of the scotch bright method for removing glaze. Your not trying to rebore the thing, or create new cross hatch, just remove any glaze on the cylinder to allow the rings to seat better.

That being said, an aluminum oxide ball hone can be used to hone and re-cross hatch if needed. A diamond hone can actually increase the bore size, as it removes stuff that fast. If you do that, cleaning is SUPER important. Lots of hot soapy water with a virgin white rag or good paper towel. clean until you don't see any more grey on the white rag.. then clean some more.

If you don't know how or what to use when honing, you will harm more than hurt your cylinder. ?

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm gonna get it back today. I also took him me head to take a look the valves. He was goona dip both of them to get them all cleaned up. Sounds like the exhaust valves looked good. The intake had a little wear but he was going to reseat them. Said all the seats looked good. I ordered a piston kit yesterday so hopefully I will be able to get it all back together next week and take it for a ride that next weekend.

Thanks for all the help.