air pressure

I just mounted a kenda 270 5.10x18 on the rear of my xr 250, seems some guys love em some hate em. I figured for the price it was worth the gamble. I did a quick search and could'nt find an answer as to what tire pressure to run.We ride mostly dirt road and two track with some single track michigan mud and sand thrown in for good measure. We ride very little pavement. Any help would be great.

Ya I know I thought the same thing. But once I got it mounted up it looks a lot smaller then the dunlop d756 i took off and that was a 110/100-18. I'm still confused by all this metric sizing anyway. I guess I'm one of those old dogs you can't teach new tricks to. When you say 4.50 18 I know what your talking about, but a 110 /100-18 don't mean a thing to me.Even with one of those conversion charts its confusing because no two charts seem the same.

I just took it for a short ride on the dirt roads around here and a bout 4 miles on the pavement with 15 psi andit felt pretty good. I really want to get it the dirt and see what happens. I've got one rim lock onthe rear so I 'm guessing I should have no problem.

Since you have a rim lock I'd drop that sucker to about 10 for sand/mud.

110/100-18 is about the same as 130/90-18. The /100s are measured for width at the sidewall, /80 and /90 are measured at the widest part of the knobs. The second number is the aspect ratio in %.

Since you have a rim lock I'd drop that sucker to about 10 for sand/mud.

110/100-18 is about the same as 130/90-18. The /100s are measured for width at the sidewall, /80 and /90 are measured at the widest part of the knobs. The second number is the aspect ratio in %.

+1

For hardpack or rocky stuff, I'd use 12 to 14 to prevent a pinch flat. Some guys use the "rub mark" on the side of the tire. It's the area next to the rim and with the tire flexing, it rubs on the rim and keeps a narrow band clean. Some swear by this method for selecting pressure but I don't remember what band width was that was considered ideal or desirable. Maybe someone can chime in on this method???

I run them on my WR426 front and rear and so far I like them. I run 15 if it will be used mainly in the dirt but if I am doing a road ride only, I pump them up to 25 and they feel good in the turns at that pressure. I have a 4.60 on the rear and it doesnt have a wide foot print but seems to still work really good. Will try the 5.10 next time.

hammer, i will give you 18 in baja. alot of jagged rocks sharp edges.

2 up with a surfboard and mostly street...20 is not a bad choice either.

i was speaking about me solo, mostly in ocotillo wells or kennedy meadows...13 is perfect and i dont even change it for my street jaunts 👍

I'm a heavy set guy (235lbs). So I think I'm going to start at 15psi and try a few pounds up or down till it feels right, but it sounds like 8 or 10 psi is as low as I should go Is that correct, even with a rim lock ?

I'm a heavy set guy (235lbs). So I think I'm going to start at 15psi and try a few pounds up or down till it feels right, but it sounds like 8 or 10 psi is as low as I should go Is that correct, even with a rim lock ?

in soft sand 8-10psi is ok but if there are any rocks you will get a pinch flat at under 12psi.

start at 15psi and go up 2 and down 2 and see what you and your bike likes.

if you dont feel a difference then higher is better for flats, but it means less traction because of less contact patch

• 4 months later...
+1

For hardpack or rocky stuff, I'd use 12 to 14 to prevent a pinch flat. Some guys use the "rub mark" on the side of the tire. It's the area next to the rim and with the tire flexing, it rubs on the rim and keeps a narrow band clean. Some swear by this method for selecting pressure but I don't remember what band width was that was considered ideal or desirable. Maybe someone can chime in on this method???

I've heard of the Rim Clean Method too, and it's 4mm. Scroll down the Chassis setup until you see it.

http://www.suspensiontuninghelp.moonfruit.com/#/setup-tips/4511681574