Average clutch life ?????

Hey all.

I'm planning a 15,000 trip accross Europe and Africa on my 400s.

I already have 13,000 miles on the clock with what I think are the original plates.

How many miles are you guys getting out of plates, springs and hubbs on a mix of road and trail riding ???

Im deciding whether to take spares or change before I go....

Ta, Ted

Depends on how the bike was used and maintained I would think. If in doubt, pull the plates and measure them to see where YOU are at.

friction plate thickness (new) 2.92-3.08mm(0.115-0.121in.) service limit 2.62mm(0.103in.)

friction plate claw width (new) 13.7-13.8mm (0.539-0.543in.) service limit 13.2mm (0.520in.)

spring free length service limit 49.9mm (0.004)in.👍

seems to be the mileage that most peoples stators go out. seems like laltly i have read about alot of failures when people are on longer trips...lots of road use. i can't remember the last time i heard about a clutch failing at all.

if it were me and i was planning to do a long trip like that i would make sure my valves were in good shape and check them again during the trip. i plan on a long trip as well and have a spare head that i will have sitting with new valves etc sitting at home ready to be shipped to me incase it's needed. i would put a new cam chain in and a new stator and battery.

all that is under $1,000 US and is a pretty sure fire way to make sure you aren't going to be left stranded. having to ship a bike and yourself back home will easily cost more than that and bring a trip to a dead hault.

the clutch will last the life of the motorcycle if it isnt abused.

The friction plates will really last that long ??

I wore out the plates on my XR650 in 15,000 miles and my XRV750 ones were done in at 35,000.

I'll measure them before I go but I didnt expect them to last 30,000 miles.

my street only driven sm has about 18k miles on the original clutch and i consider myself an ordinary average rider and i've never been compelled to replace it.i have however run out of free play adjustment due i think to a stretched cable.but after reindexing the clutch arm i've managed to gain it all back.

if it were me going on that trip i'd be more concerned about doing all of eddie's reliability modifications and pm items before you depart.his superstart battery kit is a good idea too i think.i'd also bring spare clutch and throttle cables,tire inner tubes etc.and i'd also look into installing a much larger fuel tank for such a trip.

my street only driven sm has about 18k miles on the original clutch and i consider myself an ordinary average rider and i've never been compelled to replace it.i have however run out of free play adjustment due i think to a stretched cable.but after reindexing the clutch arm i've managed to gain it all back.

if it were me going on that trip i'd be more concerned about doing all of eddie's reliability modifications and pm items before you depart.his superstart battery kit is a good idea too i think.i'd also bring spare clutch and throttle cables,tire inner tubes etc.and i'd also look into installing a much larger fuel tank for such a trip.

I did the battery mod myself, fitted a clark tank, rad guards, bashplate, 3X3, scorpion exhaust, removed all the EU pair valve shit, spare cables ziptied next to old ones.

I'm quite experienced in all this.I did 7 months in South America and 2 months over Europe 👍

friction plate thickness (new) 2.92-3.08mm(0.115-0.121in.) service limit 2.62mm(0.103in.)

I measured at about 20000+ miles 3,05 mm. I don't slip much, though.

For African trip (or anything else that big) kick start is highly recommended. My stator coil fried also at about 20000 miles.

I wore out the plates on my XR650 in 15,000 miles and my XRV750 ones were done in at 35,000.

ive never replaced a clutch in any of my personal bikes becuase it was worn out.

my buddy has a hayabusa with 75,000 miles with the stock clutch in it and he wheelies it constantly.

Interesting! I too believe clutches can last the life of the bike, from many years competing in observed trials, where we do a lot of full power clutch slipping. The clutches just take it and take it. But trials riders also tend to learn better throttle and clutch techniques that serve to save clutches.

Wet clutches float on a film of oil when slipping, then don't really squeeze out the oil unless they sit a long time unused. If the oil is not full of particulates, there isn't mutch to abrade clutches.

Now one thing that can do clutches in is overheating through not-so-subtle throttle and clutch technique in extreme instances like gluey mud. Let's say a rider is getting stuck in mud and instead of metering out only the amount of power necessary, slipping the clutch gently, he goes on-of-on-off on the throttle, lots of RPM, while slipping the the clutch a long time. So much mechanical energy converted to heat that the oil and parts can't conduct the heat away fast enough and that totally bakes the clutch, ruining the plates. So sustained slipping while converting lots of chemical energy in gasoline into scrubbed mechanical energy is to be avoided.