hanging idle/slight miss

I bought my bike in feb it was to cold to ride. I took the gas tank off and cleaned it even though it was running fine. Its just a habbit of mine when I buy a new toy I clean the tank ive found quite a bit of garb in some stuff. What i took out of the bike was clean no crap in it no water. bought fresh gas in a clean can filled it up.

Rode for a couple hours last thursday. bike ran great no bog no backfires or anything. changed the oil in egn and trans and took it out saturday put some gas in at a local station. 1.4 gal to be exact. rode a bit more and got into some nasty muddy spots and some minor stream crossings. nothing over the rear sprocket. while crossing a downed tree in the mud i stalled the bike. it didnt want to start i let it sit for a bit while i helped my bud pull his bike up over a muddy hill. Went down kicked it over 2x and it fired up and it ran ok but it miss fired a couple times. (the reason i kicked it was bc the battery was dead its weak and when it didnt want to start it drained down) rode home fine noticed idle was a bit high turned the idle screw down a little and was better.

sunday started the bike and it wouldnt idle just stalled. turned the idle back up a bit got it warmed up and it still didnt seem quite right. so... I took the tank back off and dumped. it out its def acting like a fuel issue. I pulled the plug out of the bowl nothing debris in it. put new fuel from a clean can in and i still have a hanging idle and if im ideling i can hear it miss once in a while.

Not sure what the jetting is as it was running fine and wanted to try it out before i made any changes the sir box is stock the filter and backfire screen are in tact the baffle is out of the exhaust i ride temps from 40 to 80 deg f elevaion is sea level to 1000 ft (slightly higher at times) no pink wire mod. pretty surethe ap is un modded as well. what should i be running?

im pretty sure its a fuel issue not spark ckd the connector on the coil its on there good n tight. checking the knowledge bank before i go tearin into the carb?

sorry for the long post just trying to provide all nec info.

Clogged pilot jet. Very common.

There is no point in cleaning out the gas tank unless you clean the entire fuel path all the way to the carb. The smaller orifices will clog much sooner than the fuel filter screens in the tank will.

You need to change your jetting too. Read the stickies and do a search on the Accelerator pump mods.

• Like 1

I have been looking at the stickies on jetting can really figure out what i need to do. i was thinking i may have picked up some water thats why i cleaned the tank. any suggestions on the jetting?

- JD jetting kit

- Merge racing Apump return spring

- R&D flexible fuel screw

- R&D float bowl/aPump cover with adj leak jet

That will cover all carb bases, and give you incredibly responsive throttle.

Clogged pilot jet. Very common.

X2.

As it clogs- You will naturally raise the idle to compensate.

You will get to a point where it runs like crap off idle, idles poorly.

Take it out and get a new one- will be easier than chasing it IMO. (after 2 cleanings on my KLR- tossed it for a new one and it stays cleaner longer)

Install a new one and fire it up (do not change the idle yet). If your idle is high and smooth- that was your issue. Reset idle.

thanks im looking into the jd jet kit now so i will clean it for the time being and then get the jet kit and install it

The JD kit will not include a pilot jet so I'd just pick one up now and stick it in...

thanks Krannie really appreciate your help. cant wait to go rip it up this weekend

Give yourself some time for the jetting.

Mine took many hours of testing. (and about 33% of my new tire)

No 2 bikes are the same - especially in different climates and locations.

Unfortunately Honda does not make it easy to make simple changes.

Now mine rips.

Give yourself some time for the jetting.

Mine took many hours of testing. (and about 33% of my new tire)

No 2 bikes are the same - especially in different climates and locations.

Unfortunately Honda does not make it easy to make simple changes.

Now mine rips.

Isn't THAT the truth!!

... even my buddy (shop owner) and I went round and round about MY jetting and what's best, or working best... ? to the point, it was a near argument and who knows what the h&ll they are talking about.

Thankfully... I won, and my jetting was spot on.?

I think he now has a bald spot ? from scratching his head on this one.

I pulled the carb tonight and opened it up. I did not discover any clogged jets anywhere. the only thing I found is that the hot start cable is sticking and looks like there is some corrosion where it goes into the carb body. I pulled all the jets and looked through them and gave them a good cleaning. The MJ is a 165 the pilot is a 45 the leak is a 70 and there is another one thats next to the Mj that also has a 70 stamped on it. not sure what this one is? any info??? the needle is in the 4th from the top. this is a crazy carb i have never been into a carb like this. i pulled the plug it looks old and i had some moisture in the hole. im getting a new plug and hopefully a 50 or 55 leak jet before i put it back together if they have the min stock at the shop. any other insight is appreciated.

Garrett

Edited by Tacomaman87
im a dummy

I pulled the carb tonight and opened it up. I did not discover any clogged jets anywhere. the only thing I found is that the hot start cable is sticking and looks like there is some corrosion where it goes into the carb body. I pulled all the jets and looked through them and gave them a good cleaning. The MJ is a 165 the pilot is a 45 the leak is a 70 and there is another one thats next to the Mj that also has a 70 stamped on it. not sure what this one is? any info??? the needle is in the 4th from the top. this is a crazy carb i have never been into a carb like this. i pulled the plug it looks old and i had some moisture in the hole. im getting a new plug and hopefully a 50 or 55 leak jet before i put it back together if they have the min stock at the shop. any other insight is appreciated.

Garrett

Did you hold the pilot jet up to the light, and see (6) very fine holes, that were not clogged?

Yes none of the holes were clogged. I taliked to a gut at a local shop and they did not have a pilot jet in stock all they had were 40's and 50's he suggested a 48 so they ordered some in. I got the bike all back together this afternoon. its cold here again about 35 degrees. its not missing anymore but its popping on decel and still doesnt want to idle. i have the fuel screw out 2 turns im thinking i will adjust it tomorrow and see if i can get it any better. no one has any leak jets in stock either. Im kinda at a loss at this point. but i have faith that i can figure it out.