Sign in to follow this  

FMF universal muffler on XT350?

Hey all, I have a 1984 Yamaha XT250, which takes the same muffler as all the XT350's. The stocker has been cut, shortened, and welded back together with some bits rattling around inside. I bought it like this, but no way am I riding it like that.

Supertrapp wants $250 for their muffler, but I see FMF makes a universal 1 1/4" muffler that is only $100. Has anyone tried something like this before?

The header outlet is roughly 1 3/8" OS diameter, so I'd need a midpipe bent up at a muffler shop, with an expanded end to fit over the header, which SHOULD be no problem, provided they can make the bends tight enough, looks like I need about a 4 to 6" offset within the space of about 9" - pretty tight.

Can anyone post up some pictures of their Supertrapp muffler, preferably with the side plastic off? Trying to get an idea of how I'm mount the universal one before pulling the trigger on it.

Thanks in advance.

+1

I'm very interested in this. Please post your results.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd guess the FMF is for a 250ish bike but would still flow better and be lighter than the stocker.

I used to have the old style supertrapp and the mid pipe was pretty simple.

I have decided against getting an aftermarket muffler for now.

In the interest of saving money, I cut open my pipe that was already shortened, and removed the pieces that were bouncing around inside. Welded it back together and gave it a shot of paint, so when the bike is all back together in a few weeks we'll see what it sounds like.

It still has 2 baffles, so it shouldn't be TOO loud, but if it sounds terrible and or too loud I'll get something else.