Moose Racing fork seals= bad

I've got lots of good tips here so I hope to return the favor. I bought brand new moose racing fork seals for my kdx200 since I was putting in new springs anyways. Within 5 minutes one side was seeping oil and the other gushing oil. I called a local dealer to have them take a look and the 1st question they asked was if I used 'moose seals'?! I guess it's common for the quality to be nonexistent. I had to find another dealer with stock kawi seals in stock and they asked the same thing, 'did you use moose?' so after buying 2 sets of seals, enough fork oil for two changes, and labor to do it twice my forks now are dry. Lesson learned.

I've got lots of good tips here so I hope to return the favor. I bought brand new moose racing fork seals for my kdx200 since I was putting in new springs anyways. Within 5 minutes one side was seeping oil and the other gushing oil. I called a local dealer to have them take a look and the 1st question they asked was if I used 'moose seals'?! I guess it's common for the quality to be nonexistent. I had to find another dealer with stock kawi seals in stock and they asked the same thing, 'did you use moose?' so after buying 2 sets of seals, enough fork oil for two changes, and labor to do it twice my forks now are dry. Lesson learned.

i have heard of others having the same issue with the moose seals

Yep. They suck!! I was a little bent about the time and money I wasted on such a shit product. I won't buy anything from moose racing again just because of the seals they claimed were so good. Makes me think the rest of their stuff is just as "high quality."

And the stiction was the worst I've ever felt.

I may be a bit anal, but when I take the time to do the work and spend my hard earned money on something, I fully expect it to last a lot longer than 30 friggen minutes.

Anything Moose brand is junk these days.

I ordered a shifter from my local hookup. 3 threads into the thing and it pulled all the threads out. with like 2 inch/lbs of torque. JUNK

The MSR triple lip seals are great! No problems with them at all. I have friends that have 2 years of MX on the same set now.

Moose brand fork seals are made by All Balls

There not made by All Balls, but they may be suppling them the seals. All Balls and other company's like this buy in bulk from the cheapest supplier they can find. They package them up and sell to you for alot more. Not just seals but all there products.

Whether the seals are good or bad, it does sound like you may have cut or nicked them on install (which may be due to the rubber compound being less flexible than stock etc).

Installing any seal, a good trick is to put a plastic shopping or trash bag over the end of the inner tube, then put the seal on over that, it will provide enough protection that the seal will not get cut when going over the sharp edges of the machined in groves for the bushings. The seals may still leak if they are junk, but this little trick will reduce the risk of damage on install that often occurs.

Rob

• 5 months later...