Valve shimming tools?

I'm a 650R master and new owner of both a 2006 250X and 450X. This weekend will be my first foray into checking and shimming the valves on a

450. In my Honda service manual it shows two Honda tools, a Tensioner Stopper and a Cam Sprocket Holder. As I am fine with spending the money for tools to do the job right, are these necessary? I have worked on Hondas for a very long time with very few specialized Honda tools, but some of them are nice and necessary (without fabricating and welding something up).

On a shim note, is it the Hot Cams shim kit that everyone uses in the absence of the time necessary to order the exact shim(s) needed?

Those tools are not needed. For the cam chain tensioner use a long small flat head screw driver. It works great and does the job perfectly. As for the cam sproket holder I take two zipties and loop them around the camchain and sproket this way there is no need to mark them. Then take a piece of wire and pull the sproket and chain up after unbolting it and secure it to the frame so it can not slip timing. Make sure that you keep tension on the chain at all times. This is the easiest way to do it and I do not know why Honda does not do this in the manual.

As for the Hotcams kit yes this is the one to have. It will save you time like you mentioned.

Do not waste your money on these worthless tools. There will be no need to fabricate them also. If you do it the way I explained it will work well for you.

Good luck on the shim job it is really pretty easy.

I have all 3 of them there Motion Pro gadgets John J. I was thinking I would need the long flex type with more range like this type shown in the service manual: http://www.kd-tools.com/2274.htm

Ahhh, yes... 10-4. I use my MP style.

I use a kit I picked up at Harbor Freight. They are the typical full feeler guage kit.

They have worked great for me. Put a slight bend in them. I just couldn't justify spending $5 on two feeler guages.

That could get expensive buying all the ones you need, but the sure do look nice.

All the reason I don't like buying a FULL set, bending some of the feelers and wasting the other feelers in the set (since I now won't use that set for anything other than my bike's valve checks).

... to each his own I guess.

I find also, that I have a hard time when I break an allen wrench... or a specialty wrench that comes in a kit, to not be able to buy it separately... and buy the whole kit again. Only to gain the one tool I need. And writing companies asking for ONE tool replacement doesn't get a lot of attention, and is rarely cost effective. Hence the reason to buy the 'one' right tool in the first place

As for the cam sproket holder I take two zipties and loop them around the camchain and sproket this way there is no need to mark them. Then take a piece of wire and pull the sproket and chain up after unbolting it and secure it to the frame so it can not slip timing. Make sure that you keep tension on the chain at all times. This is the easiest way to do it and I do not know why Honda does not do this in the manual.

That's a really good idea 👍

I just use a regular set of feeler gages, they're flexible enough to not need to be "bent". I concur, don't bother with the "special" tools. I did buy the cam chain tool from a guy off ebay before I did the first inspection/tear down. There's a diagram in the manual on how to make one out of sheetmetal. If you're handy with a pair of snips you can make one, they do make life easier by "locking" into the little grooves and holding the chain tensioner.

I'm a 650R master and new owner of both a 2006 250X and 450X. This weekend will be my first foray into checking and shimming the valves on a

450. In my Honda service manual it shows two Honda tools, a Tensioner Stopper and a Cam Sprocket Holder. As I am fine with spending the money for tools to do the job right, are these necessary? I have worked on Hondas for a very long time with very few specialized Honda tools, but some of them are nice and necessary (without fabricating and welding something up).

On a shim note, is it the Hot Cams shim kit that everyone uses in the absence of the time necessary to order the exact shim(s) needed?

All you had to do is call me and I would have came over to show you how to do it. 👍 I also have all the shims.