Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket size/06 kx 450

My 2006 kx 450 has a 13 tooth front sprocket and 50 tooth rear, I am buying new chain and sprockets and wondering if anyone has swapped to a 48 or 49 rear, seeing the bike is a four speed i was wanting to see if there was a noticable difference in speed with these. I ride on back roads 50% of the time and ride tracks just for fun 50% of the time. I do like how it is now but why not make it better will I'm at it. Thanks

When I rode my 06 kawi I went to a 51t. I found the bottom end to be not there enough and I never needed to be going full speed in 4th other than on roads. I wanted more bottom end in the trees and tracks since I will never hit a jump pinned in 4th on it, way to fast and I haven't the skill to fly that far since you can clear a 70' double in 3rd gear just rolling on the throttle. cheers

I am running a stock front and a 49 rear. I just camd and installed a high compression piston. The bike is so much more powerfull I am hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear on mx tracks. I am changing back to a 48 to see if i can get a little more speed, and may have to go to a 47.

Thanks for the info guys, I think the bike has good bottom end power now, well for just cruising around and riding tracks for fun. I might try a smaller sprocket. Kawiracer70 keep me posted if you swap it out again.