Knee Brace and PCL?

The thing about knee braces.... I cracked my ankle, broke left elbow, stretched my PCL and snapped my femur clean in 2 with no leg brace.

Aaaaaaannnny how, now I need some stability for my stretched PCL. Do any of the new braces help with that, seem most are just straps around the back and seem to focus on ACL injuries. Still is one better suited for PCL than others?

Looks like CTi has one with PCL strap so I am leaning that way.

My wife damaged her PCL in a quad crash and the 'therapy' was do nothing for a few weeks and then start real PT. I'm pretty sure they heal themselves for the most part and no brace will be necessary. I'm sure Dr Mark will be along to give better advice thatn me.

As in the tighten up with strength training and time?

Nope, they don't......unfortunately. PCL reconstruction is usually reserved for athletes. If it gets attenuated (stretched) and doesn't rupture, the usual treatment is therapy, in an attempt to strengthen the muscles about the knee to stabilize it. In the case of a PCL, usually quad strengthening.....

So think about a dashboard injury--the knee is flexed and the prox tibia (upper shin bone) is driven back, injury the PCL.

skeletondashboardinjury.jpg

You would need a brace that prevents posterior translation of the tibia with the knee flexed. I'm not sure how effective any of them would be at doing this.

If any of the rambling needs clarification, please let me know--aj

Yep I get it ajfreeze. So really if the knee is bent as in MX riding the risk of translation is less pronounced. I also see that in weight training, knee extensions is not good but bulk moves like leg presses are good?

I suppose knowing what to watch out for while riding is key. Is this right then

1) I need to watch out for straight legged landings and riding straight legged hanging back like down straight a ways?

2) Try and maintain bent knee and tension on the quads?

I just started walking this month so I can not tell if I am wobbly due to instability or utter lack of strength. 3 months is a wheel chain will do that. I'll asses after 60 days of leg strengthening.

These guys have a PCL version available.

http://www.bledsoebrace.com/products/axiom_oa.asp

Yep I get it ajfreeze. So really if the knee is bent as in MX riding the risk of translation is less pronounced. I also see that in weight training, knee extensions is not good but bulk moves like leg presses are good?

I suppose knowing what to watch out for while riding is key. Is this right then

1) I need to watch out for straight legged landings and riding straight legged hanging back like down straight a ways?

2) Try and maintain bent knee and tension on the quads?

I just started walking this month so I can not tell if I am wobbly due to instability or utter lack of strength. 3 months is a wheel chain will do that. I'll asses after 60 days of leg strengthening.

These guys have a PCL version available.

http://www.bledsoebrace.com/products/axiom_oa.asp

Riding straight-legged would activate the quads, tanslating the tibia forward (good). A seated position should be fine, it's a blow to the anterior tibia with the knee flexed that injures the PCL. Landing knees locked and hyperextending or twisting injures the ACL.

The brace would be fine, but like I said, I don't know how much any brace can actually protect the knee from a direct blow. Yes, it would provide some stability while riding though.

aj