Sign in to follow this  

107 hours on 07 KX 250 F

Ive got my 07 which still runs super strong, starts up flawlessly.

Downfall is its got 107 hours on it and the last time the piston got swapped it was at 50 hours.

Ive got a JE high compession piston in it now, but im a little eary about spending 200$ on it again.

any suggestions? (im not racing but i do have fun at the track, and i do got stage 1 hotcams, and some head work done to it if that makes any difference)

You know that's kinda of a hard question and you'll get a lot of different replies. I say run it till you notice power loss or if it starts to smoke. At 100 hrs I would seriously start thinking about doing it. Chances are your gonna need valves before that unless you all ready did them.

i completely agree with the whole different answers. but looking for a majority thought of experience with four strokes. ive always rode two strokes and i picked this bike up used, ive had 3 different 2 stroke bikes and not one did i have to do any piston work on. I havent dont the valves but before i bought it i know they were taken care of well (bought the bike off a dads close friend) i hear bad stories about having to scrap the motors, dont wanna be that guy. 200$ is a bit much for a piston, is a wiseco comparable for almost half the price?

The other replies will be the 50hr mark.Your right.Preventative maintence is the key.What really scraps a motor is a dropped valve and or a snapped rod. The reason your 2 strokes last longer is the longer piston skirt. A 4 stroke piston when toast will rock in the cylinder destroying it.

Get a OEM piston if your short on cash. Like I said though, you'll need valves before you need another piston.might as well do both when the time comes.

TWS

replace the cylinder. Trust me.

why would you waste money replacing a perfectly good cylinder, if you worried about it get it measured to see if it's out of round, if not put a new piston in it and ride it.

Heres my thought if the rest of the bike is in good shape for what you are doing the motor work is worth the money considering the price of a diferent bike just because if you buy used you may end up with a whole lot of problems, if you buy new no problems buy alot more cash.At least with this bike after 107 hour you know what you have and how it was taken care of.Good luck on what ever you decide.

Yeaa im gonna take your advice on ripping her apart. Make sure everything is in spec. Anything else i should look at, at 107 hours or what?