What to use on horrible smelling boots?

I bought a pair of 'used' Alpinestar Tech 8's on Ebay. They are in awesome condition, but they smell of cat piss. I'm sure it isn't, but they were in an attic for the past 5 years. So far I have soaked the booties (what smells really bad), washed them, used Febreeze Sport spray. They still smell horrible! Any tricks on getting this mildew smell gone or at least controlled. My apartment smells bad now and need to mask this smell before my GF comes home from work. lol

purification through fire.....

If it is cat piss....good luck. Long term? Baking soda perhaps?

ha ha ha no kidding!!!

dude that sucks!! My kid spilled milk in the back of my truck and didn't know until it was to late. It f'in stunk I tried all kinds of sh!t the only thing I found to work was simple green full strength let is soak in rinse then apply again ?

...So far I have soaked the booties (what smells really bad), washed them...

when you say soaked and washed, do you mean you've literally saturated the whole inside of the boot with some sort of soap, rinsed them out, then allowed them to dry completely?

I had some stinky boots after riding through a lot of swampy mud, and the sludge combined with bacteria feasting on anything inside left a nasty smell, so I followed what other suggested and used clothing detergent (the stuff you use to wash clothes), put a good amount in the boots, bubbled it up with a good spray of water, let it sit for awhile, then rinsed it all out. I then put a fan on them to air dry and it certainly helped.

I had someone prank me at work once... put coffee grinds in my work boots and taped them up with duct tape. as I was taking the tape off the coffee grinds got in every nook and cranny... combine that with hot and sweaty feet and it basically brewed coffee in my boots with my sweat, disgusting and you could smell the coffee stink while standing up, when the boots were 6 feet away from my nose!

couldnt clean them and had to buy new boots, so I know how you feel! ?

have you considered calling alpinestar and asking if you could buy just new booties.. im sure theyre not that expensive?

I had someone prank me at work once... put coffee grinds in my work boots and taped them up with duct tape. as I was taking the tape off the coffee grinds got in every nook and cranny... combine that with hot and sweaty feet and it basically brewed coffee in my boots with my sweat, disgusting and you could smell the coffee stink while standing up, when the boots were 6 feet away from my nose!

couldnt clean them and had to buy new boots, so I know how you feel! ?

have you considered calling alpinestar and asking if you could buy just new booties.. im sure theyre not that expensive?

The booties cost about 60 bucks. It isn't cat piss...I was just kidding about that. It's just mildew smell...ridden with them and put away wet. I put them on my Red Wing boot dryers after washing them. It helped some, but now they are saturated in baking soda, in zip-loc bags, and in the freezer. I read that about hiking boots, so I might as well try it? The cold will kill any bacteria left behind and the baking soda absorbs the odor.

personally i've never been able to get mildew out of synthetic fibers. i've had thermal underwear that got worn for extended periods and mildewed and i tried everything i could think of to get the smell out. they got clean and smelled nice and laundered when i finished with them. but, after wearing them for 1/2 hour and warming them up with body heat the mildew smell always came right back. i ended up using them to start a fire.

personally i've never been able to get mildew out of synthetic fibers. i've had thermal underwear that got worn for extended periods and mildewed and i tried everything i could think of to get the smell out. they got clean and smelled nice and laundered when i finished with them. but, after wearing them for 1/2 hour and warming them up with body heat the mildew smell always came right back. i ended up using them to start a fire.

Your going to kick yourself when I tell you how easy it is to fix this problem.

Throw the garment in the microwave for a few seconds!

The microwaves will instantly kill the mold, mildew, and fungus that is living in the fabric.

Works like magic.