Sign in to follow this  

WR-250 2t Experience?

Has anyone had any experience with a WR-250 2 stroke? I have a chance to buy a '90 WR-250 but don't know much about the 2 strokes. Did they have a decent motor? Decent handling? Any other comments?

Note: I posted this in the "what bike to buy" but got NO responses and the Vintage thread guys say a 20 year old bike isn't considered VINTAGE.

Whats a guy to do?👍

The WR250 2 strokes that were made in the '90s are not dual sport bikes. They are in fact awesome woods/desert bikes. I have a '96 in the garage and it is a great bike to ride. But it is not a street bike in any sense of the word.

Also, post it up in the 2 Stroke forum as there are a few of us over there that have WR250's from the '90s.

Yea, I would check the 2 stroke forum. there will be a ton of knowledgeable guys who can give you all the info you need. From my understanding, the WR 250 was just a YZ 250 that was detuned a bit for off road riding. Kind of like the RMX 250 2t that used to grace the trails.

I thought of putting this in the 2 stroke forum but I looked at it and all I saw was YZ stuff so I put it here but thanks.

Back in 1990, that model was a YZ with different tranny ratios in a couple of the gears, a stator that could power lights (but the bike didn't come with lights), supposedly different suspension valving, and a white-and-blue color scheme instead of white-and-red.

The bike was even called the YZ-250WRA (the A meant 1990 model), and it looked, handled, and ran exactly like the motocross YZ-250A1 of that year - there was no detuning with this bike.

It was after this that Yamaha finally gave it the WR-250Z designation and gave it a bigger fuel tank, 18-inch rear wheel, and an old-fashioned round-slide Mikuni carb.

The bike was just fine and dandy.

Looking for a dirt bike that's 20 years old will mean choosing carefully simply due to age. 👍

If you can find one is good shape, I would recommend buying it. As I said, I have a '96 in the garage, and it is basically the '94 YZ250 motor with a wide ratio tranny. It rips!

The suspension is more plush than a YZ, and that is great for the woods. And the 3.1 gallon tank can give about a full day of woods riding without needing to be refueled.

It is an absolute beast in the woods with ton of power, great suspension, and that awesome 2 stroke smell and feel.

But, it is not a street bike in any stretch of the imagination.