Sign in to follow this  

What Mods?

Hey guys I just bought a 2010 KX450f Today!!🤣 Now I ordered the tuner at the same time. Here is my questions now. Is the Kawasaki Suspension Valving guidelines very close to what I will need or should I send the suspension away to Enzo or someone? What mods should I get for the bike other than a pipe? Also what gearing should I run?

Thanks!👍

Edited by meathead

If the 2010 is anything like the 2009 here is my list of mods.

Full Pro Circuit Ti-4R pipe

Pro Circuit 22mm offset crowns with there bar mount

Pro Circuit shock link

Port and polish head

Wiseco Hi Comp Piston

Suspension valving was tweaked at the local shop just a touch, I weight 175 so stock is good.

18" rear wheel

Boyesen Water pump, a must for Kawi's

Higher pressure rad cap, I went 1.6 bar

Bump Seat, helps with seat bouncing I find

Renthal twinwall tall bars

Aluminum Throttle tube

Braided brake lines from Galfer

Oversize front brake rotor from Braking USA

Fork air bleeders are a must for any bike

Sunline Brake pedal

Sunline Foot pegs

Hammerhead offset shifter

That's pretty close to all my mods on my bike. From what my local dealer told me the same mods would transfer to the 2010 as well. Apparently the new Simon throttle body is supposed to make big power differences as well. My recommendation to you for mods would be, ride it stock and try all the different maps that the programmer comes with and see what you like about the bike and what you don't. No point changing stuff that works perfect to begin with. Just my 2cents thou. Cheers

Ok thank you. Now what gearing? I know that the linkage was changed for 2010 to the same as the procircuit along with the tripple clamps I believe?

triple clamps are still the 23.5mm offset same as 09 from what I was told. Yes the link is the same this year as pro circuits link was for the 09 not sure if there will be a different pro circuit link coming thou. I run a 51t rear sprocket, althou I do run a 18" rear wheel so that affects things a lot. First mod I did was the water pump, boiling coolant is uncool.

All I have done for my 09 is of course a Pro Circuite TI-4 exhaust, then I have TBT suspension set up for 165 lb rider, which made the ride well worth it, then also have a TBT motor than is ported and polished with valve seats redone and I am running Destry Abbott's mapping, which I loved compared to stock. Other than that its just small things I prefer like bars and stuff. But the basics are suspension for sure. But I have heard great things from a friend about the 2010.

Okay thank you very much guys, now for air filters is it worth while to get a loudmouth or stay with a twin air?

Nice so the cheaper one works better thats a bonus!👍 Going to pick it up tomorrow will have pics up of it tomorrow night.🤣

ya, cheaper rocks. I got to get some pics of my bike one day just we still got snow right now, grr. Grab a couple filters too, I usually keep 2 extras with me at the tracks that are oiled that way I can change them out if it is really dusty. Keep the bag the filter comes in too as it is zip lock and keeps the filters fresh.

51t rear, TM Designs slide and glide kit, some spare air filters (the ones that remove the backfire screen make a big difference), high pressure rad cap, +15mm Hammerhead Wide shifter, brake snake, 1 1/8th bars, and a quality chain are the musts for me, on either the 2009 or 2010. Honestly the exhausts wont make huge changes, but give you tunability with the exhaust note and spark arrestor options.

Additionally I have on order the 2010 link, and 22 mm triple clamps (rubber mounted, +10 mm higher clamps and a solid top clamp for less bar twisting, Applied set for me), the Kawi tuner, and getting Mike @ MB1 to give me a gp/ worcs settings for my suspension, Braking front brake line, and oversized 270mm rotor, Tag Pastrana bend oversized Bars, Sunline VX-1 lever set, Sunline Arched footpegs, full Polisport plastic kit, Hammerhead Caseguard, Outlaw Racing trim & plug kit and a semi-custom full graphics kit from MGX to complete the scoot to my personal tastes (pix to follow).

Still wanting the Boyeson water pump, and CV4 hose kit as well.

I tried the maxima oils after running motul oil for years and have since switched back to motul 5100. The reason I switched back was I ran the motul oil for 50hrs and then changed the top end out, the valve train and cylinder was in mint shape. Switched to the maxima oil for the next 50hrs and after tear down the cams had become very polished and the tappets had wear marks in them. I'm not sure if it was the oil or not but I switched back. I am at 75hrs on my 09 and on the second piston with absolutely no wear showing on it and the valves haven't needed adjustment either. Motul 5100 all the way, plus the clutches last longer on the motul oil too. This is just my experience, I know lots of people that swear by maxima oils. Like I always say, there is always someone that has had good luck and someone who has had bad luck with a product. Cheers man

The slide'n'glide is a must, I burned through 3 chain sliders in about 15 hours. I run a 52 rear, the stock trans gearing is very tall, the 52 helps me a lot in the single track. hammerhead +15w helped me with false neutrals, higher bars, for sure. the stock suspension kicks ass, and is very sensitive to adjustment, try playing with teh clickers before throwing money at it. Higher bars were a must for me. The stock exhaust is a very good performer and in '10 they changed it from the '09 low hanger that got smashed all the time.

I'm not a big fan of any of those super pricey oils, I use rotellaT and just checked my valves after having 30-40hrs (I don't have a meter) and everything looks great and well within spec.

I have always run the DID x-ring chain. The extra little bit of drag you get is made up in terms of durability. I get a full season on that chain. I also run the renthal twin-ring sprocket to get maximum drive train life. Hope this helps. Cheers

Do you got specs for that one there are 3 different models, I know I need 120 links but not sure on pin length n such.

I run either the DID 520ERV3 or the DID 520VM. Both are x-ring chains. I like the 520ERV3 better, seems to last a touch longer. You will notice some drag for the first few rides but once it breaks in you will never know it is there and also I rarely adjust my chain. About ever 20hrs of riding I adjust my chain, which is only cause I need a new tire by then, haha. Cheers man

loud mouth intake is the best money you can spend on a bike. makes a noticeable difference in power and throttle response.

loud mouth intake is the best money you can spend on a bike. makes a noticeable difference in power and throttle response.

really? must be my bike cause there was no hp improvements when I tried it on the dyno. Throttle response didn't change either. That's cool you got a benefit from it thou. cheers