Knee Chondromalacia

I was diagnosed with knee chondromalacia about a year ago when I was 17.

Currently if I were to stetch my quad by pulling my heel towards my but it would pop about 10 times and my pattella will slow up and skip about an 1/8 of an inch at least once.....

I am currently doing things to cure my knee for example, I wear high arch support insoles, walk very staight, stretch and recently have

been undertaking a strict physical therapy routine to strengthen my quadriceps for example

stretching

wall squats

leg squats

leg raises

bicycling

Icing after exercise...

Take NSAID's before riding

I have learned that physical exercise can help prevent pain by strengthening the quad muscles that connect to the patella which allows the patella to slide in its groove better.

What other things can I do so I can ride more and with less pain?

I was thinking of buying asterisk knee braces...does that sound like something that would help with my condition?

thanks for your help

There are several grades of chondromalacia. To help you, I gotta few questions:

1. Is there a reason you have it?

2. Did you have a chondral injury from a blow to the knee? Is it just one knee?

3. How was it diagnosed? Have you had a knee scope? If so, do u have pics? Post em if you got em!

4. Have you ever dislocated your patella? Do you have maltracking of your patella?

We can work from there.......and regarding the braces:

I can't imagine a $600 brace helping your condition any, but it would protect you. Flexibility is probably the most important. Quad strength is important too, but if you have a maltracking patella, then that should be addressed....

aj

The first burn I felt in my knee originated(i believe) when I fell on my knee about a year onto concrete while wheelieing my bicycle...

I would ride my bike home and I remember my knee burning... it further progressed into limiting my mobility which was when I went to the doctor who took x-rays...and said that nothing was broken..

there was no in depth analysis at all( pretty sure they were just checking for breaks and not the cause of pain)..

Physical therapy was suggested and a neoprene knee brace was giving to me.

I did physical therapy for about a month and found small improvement by the end of the month.

I was diagnosed condromalacia grade I in both knees 2 years ago. I was caused by a muscle imbalance in my quadriceps. While I corrected it by doing exercises provided by my PT I took shots of Hialuronic Acid in both knees, five each year / knee which helped a lot. Now both knees feel great once I corrected the imbalance I had in my quadriceps and didnt have to go for surgery; only PT + Hialuronic shots. An Asterix knee brace will do nothing at all

Every condromalacia is different but my point is that there is a lot to be done before surgery, hope it helps and good luck

450racer17, glad to see you came over here to post. I have never posted here, I just lurk and live vicariously, plus i like to see all the x-rays of busted up parts of people that just can't wait to get back on the very thing that has them all busted up.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I think you'll get some good help here. Do let us know on kneegeeks how you are getting on though. Dont forget about us over there!

AJs questions are on the same track of where i was going on the kneegeeks forum, about getting to the real reason for why your knee is giving you problems. That is the key to finding the right course of treatment. Hope DrMark chimes in soon. Him and AJ are beasts!

Sure but it sounds more legit coming from a real doctor.

450racer17: just like i was saying in the other forum, if it doesn't improve with targeted exercises in physical therapy, you gotta find a good doctor with a clue about the patello-femoral joint to figure out the root of your problem, one that does the imaging DrMark has described (CT scan rotation study and tracking of the patella through various degrees of flexion, lateral x-ray, and standing leg length xray).

Don't drink the kool-aid offered by some of these whackjobs out there. Take the time to get quality opinions from good docs (i know there's a good one down in TX) and get your leg right so you can ride your bike at full potential and save your knee from further deterioration.

The first burn I felt in my knee originated(i believe) when I fell on my knee about a year onto concrete while wheelieing my bicycle...

I would ride my bike home and I remember my knee burning... it further progressed into limiting my mobility which was when I went to the doctor who took x-rays...and said that nothing was broken..

there was no in depth analysis at all( pretty sure they were just checking for breaks and not the cause of pain)..

Physical therapy was suggested and a neoprene knee brace was giving to me.

I did physical therapy for about a month and found small improvement by the end of the month.

So who said you have chondromalacia? And how was it diagnosed?

thumpertalk wasn't working last night so I didn't get to finish my post....

Since riding season has began I have been hitting up the local tracks at least one a weak. After riding the pain and crepitus gets worse.

I started physical therapy again 4 days ago and will continue to do so 3 times a week for as long as it takes to see if I can get improvement. If not, I will try to find a doctor who can properly diagnose the cause behind my chondromalacia..

Anyone know any good knee docs around the Santa Barbara area?

To answer your question on who told me I had chondromalacia?

My normal doctor refered me to someone else(it was a year ago so I forgot the facts...)that bent my leg and felt my knee and told me I had chondromalacia...then I got x rays and they said nothing was broken

that is all I can remember

It's is just in my left leg.. my right leg is 100 percent fine thank god

I have no x-ray pics

I have never dislocated my patella, it justs hangs up and skips about a 1/8 of inch every once in a while in between the popping and crackling

Thanks for all your help guys and crankerchick

My normal doctor refered me to someone else(it was a year ago so I forgot the facts...)that bent my leg and felt my knee and told me I had chondromalacia...

Wouldn't true cartilage loss under the patella be diagnosed by MRI or scope?

It sounds to me like this is just the standard answer given when someone goes in to the doctor's office with anterior knee pain. I saw it on my own chart for years from a variety of orthos.

450racer17 i put in an email to someone who helped me a lot with finding the right doctor (DrMark!) for my problems. She traveled all over trying to fix her knee after a failed surgery. She knows a doc in CA, although i don't know how close to SB this doc is. If/when she replies, I will PM the info to you.