Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) 2006 TTR 230 wouldn't start

Just bought a 2006 TTR 230 for the wife yesterday, and played around with it for a few hours and couldn't get it to start. It would try, but then would die so I figured that it had to do with sitting for a few years and a gummed up carb.

I pulled the carb apart and took a look, but the previous owner had used some gas additive since he knew it was going to be sitting for awhile, and believe it or not it looked squeaky clean. I did remove the main to check it out, but it was perfectly clean.

The battery was also dead, so I was cranking it over with my battery charger.

I replaced the battery and spark plug today, and after remembering to turn on the gas and the choke (👍), it fired right up! I'm stoked.

It's another Yamaha to add to the family. (YZ426, PW50) I can't wait for the wife to take it out and enjoy it. It should be a rock solid bike.

Next steps are the airbox mods, a 38 pilot and a 130 main and then just have fun. I don't think the wife will need more power.

Hey... I have got an 06' 230 in my sights... its clean as a whistle, barely looks used, guy wants $1500... what do you think???

E

Just bought a 2006 TTR 230 for the wife yesterday, and played around with it for a few hours and couldn't get it to start. It would try, but then would die so I figured that it had to do with sitting for a few years and a gummed up carb.

I pulled the carb apart and took a look, but the previous owner had used some gas additive since he knew it was going to be sitting for awhile, and believe it or not it looked squeaky clean. I did remove the main to check it out, but it was perfectly clean.

The battery was also dead, so I was cranking it over with my battery charger.

I replaced the battery and spark plug today, and after remembering to turn on the gas and the choke (👍), it fired right up! I'm stoked.

It's another Yamaha to add to the family. (YZ426, PW50) I can't wait for the wife to take it out and enjoy it. It should be a rock solid bike.

Next steps are the airbox mods, a 38 pilot and a 130 main and then just have fun. I don't think the wife will need more power.

Trust me, it wont be. It will always fire up with a clean gas and plug and if it is 55 degrees or above, but other than that you will have problems.

Hey... I have got an 06' 230 in my sights... its clean as a whistle, barely looks used, guy wants $1500... what do you think???

E

Seems like a good price to me. We paid $1700, probably partly because the bike wouldn't start and I have a feeling the seller didn't want to mess with it.

We looked at one that was a tad nicer (new fenders, looked perfect and started right up), but $1850 was as low as the guy would go on that one.