Pulling Wheelies with the DRZ

Hi everyone, hey I'm brand new to TT, and just getting back into dirtbikes after way to many years. I love the DRZ but it seems like I could use some advice as to help make it more easy to pull wheelies. I really don't need a wheelie machine, but it would be nice to get up on it when I'm riding. I've heard that changing sprockets, ie. one tooth lower on the front sprocket, and one tooth more on the rear would help my low end power, is this something that you would suggest? I'm 44 and 200+ lbs, so I really don't have alot of expectations, just want a little extra fun when riding. My bike ('01-E model) is strickly stock, with a 14t front, 47t rear and no mods to speak of, if that helps. Thanks.

i always got my front wheel up just giving the front a yank, lean back, and hand full of throttle. but what made it much easier to do a wheelie was a mild rejet and exhaust mod. it only costs a few bucks and totally worth it. take a 1 3/8 bimetal hole saw, and cut out the resrictive exhaust outlet. that way you still have a spark arrestor for the trails. for the fcr rejet(pretty sure all early "e" models had the fcr kihein carbs) buy a 160 main jet, and a 48 pilot jet. turn the fuel screw out 2 turns from seated, and remove the air snorkel. definite power increase with plenty of third gear power wheelies to enjoy. of course if that aint enough im sure eddie can help you with better jetting:thumbsup: enjoy fellow drz'er ­čĹŹ

You should have no problem wheeling in 1th , 2th. Use your weight , lean back and throttle.Now after your good to ride a short distance in the same gear. Try to use the shifter (without clutch). Then youll be riding 5th wheelie in no time

just throw it in 2nd and clutch it up. start with a little gas at first just to get the hang of it and give it a little more as you go. power wheelies on the drz are do able but youll only go so far and wind the hell out of the engine

Thank you RToth, It's obvious that it's not the bike, but the rider! I'm sure your right Nitrojoe, some mod work is definately in order. Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate your advice!

In first gear the wheel will come up even with me sitting all the way up on the seat. Whack the throttle open from about 9mph and the front wheel will come up just as fast as you twist your right wrist. 2nd gear I have to be sitting back a bit further. On or just forward of the seat strap. Grab a hand full of throttle at about 25mph and a tug on the bars and she's up. Haven't tried 3rd gear yet.