2007 CRF230 Oil Question

I just bought a used 2007 CRF 230F and i am changing the oil. I noticed that the "user manual" says 1 litre . When I drained the oil there was alot more than that (not sure exactly). Is it common to overfill the oil level or was the previous owner just not paying attention.

ya tell me about it....i just added the required 1 liter and it read full on the dipstick. Maybe the previous owner wasn't screwing in the oil cap and therefore overfilling. Who knows.

Thanks Again

now lets see what else is wrong with it.........

When i bought my 150f, i checked the oil and there was no reading on the dip stick. I added oil and added oil, but still nothing on the dip stick. Then i realized i didn't have the bike perfectly flat/even, so it wasn't reading correctly. I had to drain out about half a quart to get it to the appropriate level. Stupid, but a common mistake.

The previous owner may have done the same thing. If the bike is leaning just a tad, it will read incorrectly. This may have caused him to over fill or under fill depending on which way it was leaning.

When i bought my 150f, i checked the oil and there was no reading on the dip stick. I added oil and added oil, but still nothing on the dip stick. Then i realized i didn't have the bike perfectly flat/even, so it wasn't reading correctly. I had to drain out about half a quart to get it to the appropriate level. Stupid, but a common mistake.

The previous owner may have done the same thing. If the bike is leaning just a tad, it will read incorrectly. This may have caused him to over fill or under fill depending on which way it was leaning.

true enough...i did the same thing at first then thought "hey this should be level", so up on the stand it went

250ml isn't that much over, it is over, but hell its only 1/4 quart over

I usually put around 1.25-1.5 quarts in my 150f, just to help keep lube everywhere when my bike is at different extreme angles for long periods of time

I am away from home and can't check.......but doesn't the owner's manual state that to check the oil level with the dip stick......put the bike level and place the dip stick in....but not to screw it in?

Just something to double check

You are right, you are not supposed to screw the dip stick in when you check the oil level.

I suggest that you put the correct amount of oil in the bike, run it for a minute, then check the oil level per the manual and note where it is on the dip stick. Park the bike in your garage and next morning and check the oil with the bike on the side stand. You now know what the correct level is on the stick for a cold bike on the sidestand, just makes life much easier in the future, and avoids a 25% overfill.

I suggest that you put the correct amount of oil in the bike, run it for a minute, then check the oil level per the manual and note where it is on the dip stick. Park the bike in your garage and next morning and check the oil with the bike on the side stand. You now know what the correct level is on the stick for a cold bike on the sidestand, just makes life much easier in the future, and avoids a 25% overfill.

gees who ever thought that there would be so many ways to check the oil level. I just put in the 1 litre of oil as stated in the guide.

"Check that the oil level is at the upper level mark on the oil filler cap/dipstick with the motorcycle upright on firm, level ground"

gees who ever thought that there would be so many ways to check the oil level. I just put in the 1 litre of oil as stated in the guide.

"Check that the oil level is at the upper level mark on the oil filler cap/dipstick with the motorcycle upright on firm, level ground"

The Honda method of holding the bike vertical to check oil level is a PITA, which is why I suggested an alternative.

And you are correct that it should be simple. 🤣

Years ago I forgot to add oil after draining and a week later went for a ride, that mistake cost new rings, cam, and lifters. As a result I always pull the dip stick before riding to check for oil. I change the oil so often that oil consumption is not an issue so I just check for oil not the level.👍

Years ago I forgot to add oil after draining and a week later went for a ride, that mistake cost new rings, cam, and lifters. As a result I always pull the dip stick before riding to check for oil.

Whenever I have something off one of the bike thats not obvious, like the air filter is off, or the oil needs to be filled, I tie a shop rag to one of the grips to remind me before I ride.

ya tell me about it....i just added the required 1 liter and it read full on the dipstick. Maybe the previous owner wasn't screwing in the oil cap and therefore overfilling. Who knows.

Thanks Again

now lets see what else is wrong with it.........

Its my understanding that you are not supposed to screw the oil cap in to get an accurate reading when checking the oil

Its my understanding you're not supposd to screw in the dip stip when checking the oil. You just stick it in till stops, pulll it back out, and that will give you an accurate reading.

+1

If you are screwing the dip stick in, then you are under filling it!

I just lean my bike up, check it real quick. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect, it could be a little over or a little under. Not 100% exact science.

Only thing I hate about my 150f is the dip stick comes out of the motor in a crappy place.. Hard to shove by the kick start and frame

+1

If you are screwing the dip stick in, then you are under filling it!

I just lean my bike up, check it real quick. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect, it could be a little over or a little under. Not 100% exact science.

Only thing I hate about my 150f is the dip stick comes out of the motor in a crappy place.. Hard to shove by the kick start and frame

so then you are checking the oil level while the bike is vertical and not on the kick stand, and just putting the dipstick in but not screwing it in at all? Ya i definitely not want to have less oil that could be bad