Sign in to follow this  

Siezed RFS motor

I have a 2002 250 exc-r. the motor siezed while i was riding. in detail what happened was i laid it down in a turn and the clutch lever was burried so before i picked it up i hit the kill switch and turned it off. i then picked it up and tried to bump start it down a hill and it was siezed, electric start does turn over, the kickstart wont budge. i drained the oil and theres no visable problems with it, no metal or other foreign substances in it. I also changed the oil right before the ride it siezed on.

So if this has happened to anyone or somebody has some helpful imput it would be great to hear. thanks.

Do the gears seem to be changing?

Could be the gearbox is locked up???

wow, laying it down should never seize a cylinder, but it can definately lock up a gear box by jamming the gear shift lever.

but if you got it into nuetral and rolled it that may not be it either. if you just pulled in the clutch to roll it and it wont shift it is a trans deal like Lvie says.

the only other thing i could guess if it clicks thru the gears is somehow some came loose internally, maybe in the valve train and has jammed up in the top end..pull off the valve cover, nothing there move to pulling off the head then the barrel until you find something??

What if oil filled up the cylinder? And it"s on the compression stroke. Pull the spark plug and see if it will turn over and empty the cylinder. Like hydro lock, but thats water, same idea. Just a thought.

wow, laying it down should never seize a cylinder, but it can definately lock up a gear box by jamming the gear shift lever.

but if you got it into nuetral and rolled it that may not be it either. if you just pulled in the clutch to roll it and it wont shift it is a trans deal like Lvie says.

the only other thing i could guess if it clicks thru the gears is somehow some came loose internally, maybe in the valve train and has jammed up in the top end..pull off the valve cover, nothing there move to pulling off the head then the barrel until you find something??

What if oil filled up the cylinder? And it"s on the compression stroke. Pull the spark plug and see if it will turn over and empty the cylinder. Like hydro lock, but thats water, same idea. Just a thought.

Anything is possible.

You could just pull in the decompression lever if you still have in on the bike. If you don't have it, you can put a zip tie to the devise on the right side of the head and activate it. That way you won't have to pull the spark plug out.

it would loosen up if you had it in gear and rocked backwards it would reverse the stroke.

but yes pulling the plug would be a first starting point, i thought he may have done that when he did the oil change... my bad for ASSUMING hahahaha

yes i did pull the plug when i got it back to the garage, theres no liquid of any kind in the cylinder. it also does shift through the gears fine.

Pull your right side foot peg, kick start lever and finally remove the clutch cover. You should be able to see if part of the e-start mechanism has stuck and is preventing you from kicking it over. Unless you broke clutch plates, I think this is where you'll find the problem.