Sign in to follow this  

How much filter oil???

I have been using Notoil, but I'm not sure if I've been using too much. I cover it completely with the oil, then try to squeeze it out. But even after sitting for 15-20 min, it still feels wet with oil. Also, the next time I wash it, there is some oil sitting in the bottom of the airbox.

Is this too much oil? If so, will it cause any problem? One of my bikes is carb and the other is EFI, so not sure if too much oil would cause a problem with either one.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a little too much oil as opposed a not enough. I use belray but do the same process. Cover every square inch, squeeze out excess and smooth the remainder out for a nice even coat. As long as it's tacky everywhere and not dripping I'd say you're good. If it's wet feeling you may want to squeeze it out a little more, I use latex gloves and just toss them right away.

I use NoToil Exclusively for my ever growing collection of bikes.

I am not sure if there is an airsol type or not, but I use it from a bottle.

I take the top off of the brand new bottle and poke 5-8 small holes in the protective seal.

Then drizzle on liberally, work through the filter. When I am done oiling, I can squeeze very small amounts of oil out of the filter. It will stay wet/sticky, this oil is not supposed to dry out.

If I let them sit for a bit (like a few days to a week) in the bike before use, you will get some residue in the bottom of the air box. It concerned me at first, but I have never had a problem, just a bit of a mess to clean once in a while. I pull the air box out and clean when I grease linkage

I have never had a engine failure due to air filters not working. These bikes are all carb'ed bikes and I am not sure about the proper way to do a FI bike.

One more thing, it feels wet for a while after as there is a thinning agent in the oil so it can be poured. That has to evaporate off before the filter feels sticky, not wet.

It's better to start with an over-oiled filter than an under-oiled filter. If you think you have too much oil on your filter, just blot out the excess with 3-4 paper towels. The paper towels will pick up the excess without removing too much oil.

Thanks, sounds like I'm doing it about the same.