Sign in to follow this  

Clutch weirdness

07 L 3900 mi

I got the bike out yesterday for the first time this winter and the clutch was acting funny.

Symptoms:

The bike was in 1st and the motor was not running I pulled the clutch in and tried to move it and it was not rolling free as if it were in neutral. There was quite a bit of resistance. I thought "weird".

I fired it up cruised it around real slow like for about 5 min, changed the oil and took it for a spin.

When was cruisin back into the parking garage when I was in 1st and slowed down pulled the clutch in and it was as if the clutch did not disengage fully and the bike putted forth slowly. I thought "weird" and started messing around with it.

I put it in neutral got off then I pulled the clutch put it in 1st everything was fine I started to push the bike and as soon as I got the tires rolling it started moving on its own with the clutch lever fully in in 1st.

Questions:

What the F is going on?

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Is it a cable adjustment?

Could the cable have stretched and not be operating the clutch fully?

thanks for any ideas and help

sounds to me like a cable adjustment is needed. i've had this happen to me before on a bike with a wet clutch. This symptom is likely to go away since it was the first time you took the bike out for the first ride of the season.

I would try riding it around a little more to see if it clears up. Sometimes clutch faces can get a little dry from sitting for long periods. It's not common, but has been known to happen. What kind of oil are you using?

It could be a symptom that your clutch basket is getting some indentations. Basically, the clutch plates get caught in a groove and don't really disengage completely.

I'm not looking forward to replacing mine. It's a $300 part.

It could be a symptom that your clutch basket is getting some indentations. Basically, the clutch plates get caught in a groove and don't really disengage completely.

I'm not looking forward to replacing mine. It's a $300 part.

Interestingly earlier two stroke CR250's use exactly the same plates. I'm not sure whether the Basket is the same type of fit onto the shaft however..I will be looking into it if I can find a CR being wrecked cheap enough..Unless anyone here knows for sure.

..I will be looking into it if I can find a CR being wrecked cheap enough..Unless anyone here knows for sure.

CR? Your bike is an 07 650L. I highly doubt that the basket is the same part number but you can find out by checking the OEM parts microfiche online.

You might have some luck with a dremel type grinder and a stone - use that to smooth out the ridges. I personally haven't tried it, but I've heard of it done. I'd keep riding it until it got worse if I were you.

Whoops,,yep sorry..error in the reading. Still all a 650L is is an XR/XL with electric start but I tend to remember reading something here about the idea when some guy tried to convert his L over to non electric,,Don't think it works on one of them due to a slightly longer crank or some such bit down there..Might on a 600 though...Same plates in a 600 though as an earlier CR,,How do I know..I purchased 2 sets brand new still in the boxes and according to the labeling they are universal for about 3 different models.

What kind of oil are you using?

I've used a synthetic 10w 40 can't think of the make off hand

I had the same problem with my L around 3000 miles. I think it was because I switched to GTX oil and it made the clutch grab and not slip like it should. I replaced the clutch and now use Mobile 1 and my clutch works perfect! My bet is the oil is causing the problem. Replace clutch, replace oil, problem solved!