CRF230 motor swaps? 400EX?

You can make anything fit with enough time and money. Does the 400 have reverse? - because that would be cool.

Haha at least I'm not the only one to want reverse on a bike LOL

I wonder how much a 400ex engine would weigh, would definitely be an awesome motor for reliability, and the great smooth low end torque

But would be completely custom job like others said, most likely involve hacking into the frame and changing the geometry

definitely possible though I'm sure, my friend swapped a xr200 knock off clone motor into a newer cr80 👍

I actually planned to do this for since i bought my 230 new in 06, i had even purchased a 400ex engine but decided to resell. The 400 ex engine has very wide cases compared to a 230, i belived it would be to awkward feeling between your feet and upset the balance of the bike very low in the chassis.

I didnt belive it to be worthwhile to do, I would suggest looking into the xr400r engine. its basically the same as a 400ex but hopefully it would be alot narrower in the bottom end . On the other hand an x400 engine atleast in my area is damn near impposible to find and 400ex are a dime a dozen.

To be fully honest though i would leave the stock engine in the 230. Ive learned that its best to appreciate the 230 for what it is. I dont think its a good idea to try and make it something its not. Imo it is the best modern bike made for the gnarliest pita terrain that you can throw at it. You can ride this thing flat out over and through anthing all day without getting tired or having anything break.

I do think a 400 air cooled 4stroke in a 230 would be a bad ass bike and i would applaud the craftmanship it would take to complete a project such as that but i personally would never try and make it very fast. It would take alot of money,time and effort to complete something like this and there are so so so many dirtbikes that would still destroy it when it comes to every aspect of performance right off the showroom floor... so why bother ?

Well I would rather not cut into the frame...but if I did Im alright with a mig and my buddy is actually an amazing welder.

Well the 2 engines I am considering are the 400EX and the XR650R motor since theyre both bullet proof...the 400EX seems like it would be easier tho lol

I actually want to build a street legal supermoto bike *strictly street duty I have a quad for the dirt* so Ide pick a CRF230M or L since it comes with a street title. I like the smaller dimensions Im only 5'7" with a 29" inseem so the lower seat heigh and shorter reach would suit me very well. But the engine is seriously lacking to me.

coeshow makes over 30 hp from crf230 based motors i think that is comparable to a stock 400, also you could get a 400 and just lower it

really thats pretty damn good, Im just wondering how much that would kill the reliability.

i hate to be the lame guy but, why not just buy a drz400sm, what your doing is prabably going to end up being more expensive. And making a 230 have 30 hp would probably rape the reliablility. Its basically making a trail bike have the hp as a 250 water cooled race bike.

Personally, I'd like see someone drop an XR650R motor into a 230 frame just because it would be cool. Most people that fab up frankenstein bikes aren’t doing it because it’s practical. It would take some serious frame altercations to fit that motor and find places for the radiators. You would want big disk brakes front and back and better suspension.

It would definitely be a one-of-a-kind bike.

it would reduce the relibility, but compared to a 250 watercooled it is no comparison, a watercooled had tiny vitanium valves that can be damaged fairly esily. the 230 will still have the steel sleve and humongous crank so that just about covers relibility.

it will have more matinece than stock but less than a water cooled bike so thats what I would do if not for practicality then money

Plus we are just comparing a BUILT 230 to a 400ex.. A 400ex with a mild bore, cam, carb, and mild port, would probably put out more power then a built 230, have a hell of a lot more low end torque, as well as be extremely reliable.

Of course I'm not sure how heavy the 400ex motor is, and how wide it is.. It really isn't practical but I'm sure it would be fun to ride!