Sign in to follow this  

I think we have a Winner...

Well, my 8 year old, starting at 7, has saved up over $300 now and has been Very Patient with me in deciding which bike to get her...AND me trying really hard to find a good value for her $$ (and mine)..

Last night I think the quest came to an end... a guy listed 2 TTR 90's, one 06, one 07'... one ridden by his son, the other by his daughter, both stored inside.. Both in great condition, says he... and he listed them for Bottom Dollar! ($550 and $650!!!!!!!!!🤣)

So, since its 6 hrs away... My good friend and old neighboor, who is a top notch mechanic and used to work in a cycle shop..is going to look tonight Right when the guy gets home from work, with check in hand. I told him I prefer the 07 that the daughter had been riding, but will take the 06 for $100 less also!!! (I guess the E-start button on the 06' is broke... big deal!!!)

So...hopefully in about 10 days I"ll be able to post pics of my ecstatic 8 year old with her new bike!!

Thanks a lot for all the advice you guys have given... I was settled on the CRF 70, TTR90/110 or KLX/DRZ 110...was just waiting for the right deal!! Found it! (gonna be pissed if this guy sells these bikes while at work today, sight unseen to some guy!👍)

Thanks again,

Ernie

They are good bikes they just don't have the aftermarket support of the KLX110. My newphew has one and seriously beats on it. This combined with the fact that his dad does ZERO maintaince on it really impresses me with it's durability.

Good News!!!

I am not worried about the aftermarket stuff for it..I think she'll be on this bike for two summers, then if she still likes riding and wants to move up, we'll get her into something faster...👍

I have another question, if she wants to go try a race this summer... what types of classes are there typically? beginner/vs/expert etc...? Bike classes? Would a TTR 90 be against a YZ 85??

Thanks

My little girl races in the 4 to 6 class(peewee).She just raced last weekend and you could see her smile thru her helmet it was that big!Where i live and our race series has all type of class`s for kids(usra),all i can say is ride the courses with her and make sure she has the time of her life.

well...against a field of YZ85 or similar bikes ....the ttr90 would be in dead last place after about 0.25 seconds....because it would be competing in the wrong class.

A ttr90 should be competing against 50c 2t's not 85cc 2t's. you could also race it against 65cc 2t's but it would not be competitive.

Try her in the smallest class possible to begin with - if she loves it get her comfort level up before changing bikes.

Definitely try her out in the peewee or 50cc B class to start if she wants to race.

Well, the TTR shows up tonight, friends coming out for spring break/easter are stopping in Missoula and grabbing it for us. Jessie is going to be elated!

Yeah Matt, I know it wont even think of keeping up with a YZ, unless it was on a super technical, low speed track and the rider was a pro and the YZ'ers were beginners!! :0) We'll see. She wont be getting a 50, so if we break into racing at all...it'll be on this bike. I'll just explain to her that being a beginner and being on a starter bike... she will just have to ride to have fun and not fret over the others Rooosts....

:0) If she loves it and wants to get extreme...then we'll find her a KX 65!

I know you won't be getting her a 50, but you have to understand that a 50cc class is based on 50cc 2t displacement (like a KTM Junior or Senior or a Cobra or Polini - all of which are 50cc 2 strokes) the 70/90cc 4t bikes are normally allowed to run against the 50cc 2t bikes in the same class because in reality, the 90 4t's are still a slower, less competent bike than a 50cc 2t.

The RM/KX65 is a great bike - once she gets her feet wet and feels confident on the 90, if she wants to race, the KX65 is a great bike and a LOT cheaper in upkeep compared to a KTM. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a KTM to win either!

Right. A friend of mines son kick butt for the past two years on his KX65's against KTM's and Cobras at top amateur races.

I rode a lot when I was a kid in 50 and 80 classes... I used to have crappy old bikes and could keep up or win against kids with brand new bikes... so as far as the KX being competetive with the KTM... hell yeah, of course it is! Are the KTM's that good though? Like, if you put the same rider on each, would she/he do better on the KTM??

Anyhow, bike is in the stall.... still haven't told Jessica about it yet. When I received it, it was muddy, had horse manure in the fenders and on the tires, worn old stickers here and there... the bike has been used, there is no doubt about that, but for $550... I have ZERO complaints!!

Before

IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

And after I stripped some worn stickers, cleaned up residue with thinner and ran over the whole thing with some windex and armour all!

IMG_7021.jpg

And this is what Jessica is going to see when I get home from work today...I've got it locked in my woodshop right now... I got the Yami pants and the well used Fly boots and a beat up chest protector for $50 with the bike purchase!

IMG_7022.jpg

I rode a lot when I was a kid in 50 and 80 classes... I used to have crappy old bikes and could keep up or win against kids with brand new bikes... so as far as the KX being competetive with the KTM... hell yeah, of course it is! Are the KTM's that good though? Like, if you put the same rider on each, would she/he do better on the KTM??

Anyhow, bike is in the stall.... still haven't told Jessica about it yet. When I received it, it was muddy, had horse manure in the fenders and on the tires, worn old stickers here and there... the bike has been used, there is no doubt about that, but for $550... I have ZERO complaints!!

Before

IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

IMG_7020.jpg

And after I stripped some worn stickers, cleaned up residue with thinner and ran over the whole thing with some windex and armour all!

IMG_7021.jpg

And this is what Jessica is going to see when I get home from work today...I've got it locked in my woodshop right now... I got the Yami pants and the well used Fly boots and a beat up chest protector for $50 with the bike purchase!

IMG_7022.jpg

Looks great; I would love to see her reaction.

very cool!

She's going to be a very happy girl!

The KX is definitely competitive enough...you'll get people saying it isn't, but it's all rider at that stage of the game, my kid won almost every race on a 2000kx65 last year - it's got less suspension then every other kx65 out there and WAY less than a KTM but that never stopped him from going bigger than every other kid out there, he rode that thing way beyond what it was designed for all year and came out grinning. When I posted this pic, a few people said that a kx wasn't built to land from that high and would blow apart on the landing......I think that bike did that particular jump several hundred times last year with one REALLY bad crash on landing and it's still in one piece.

102_1739.jpg

I remember seeing the pics of that crash!!

I bet your kid is ready for an 80/85 big time!

I hope my girl stays into it now that she actually HAS a bike. It will be interesting to see. All she talks about, constantly, is getting a dirt bike.. .she is going to really be happy tonight when I get home...

Now daddy has to get a bike....huhhhhhh... more $$$

I remember seeing the pics of that crash!!

I bet your kid is ready for an 80/85 big time!

I hope my girl stays into it now that she actually HAS a bike. It will be interesting to see. All she talks about, constantly, is getting a dirt bike.. .she is going to really be happy tonight when I get home...

Now daddy has to get a bike....huhhhhhh... more $$$

Well show us the pictures of her face with the biggest smile ever !!!! I know how you feel. I got my 6 and 4yr old bikes for xmas. At first they didnt even hardly notice (because they also got nintendo ds games) but once they saw they were real they were bouncing off the walls.

Jnewbikers3.jpg

That was the first pic we took... she could NOT wipe the grin from her face, it was awesome...

Happy Dad and Girl!

Jnewbikers5-1.jpg

One of her first rides!

Jnewbikers2.jpg

Notice the Gravel she's riding over here, rounded river rocks stuff...Well, she came across that in mid turn and dumped it nicely for the first time! Didn't phase her at the least!

Jnewbikers1.jpg

• Like 1

Love that great big smile! 🤣 She's adorable, and it sounds like a dirt bike is just the thing for her. 👍 WTG Dad!

That little girl's smile is priceless! I'll bet she's enjoying it!