Sign in to follow this  

Steering

The last time I rode my bike I crashed into a tree: I WAS NOT going fast and only the right side handlebar (no controls - just handlebar) hit the tree. After that I noticed my steering wasnt quite right. If it is not bent handlebars (and Im not ruling that out), could my steering have been disaligned? When we used to ride bicycles, some 25 years ago, we called them "goosenecks", and all we had to do was realign the gooseneck.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Look were your handle bars mounts bolt through the triple clamp. There is a big rubber bushing in there that can get smashed to one side from the bars being tweaked or hit.

I have done it many times on the 450, just make sure the bolt is in the center of the hole.

If its not center tweak your bars the other way to fix it or undo those two bolts and reset it.

Since the Honda CRF150R does not have rubber-mounted handlebars.....there is only one answer: your collision has twisted the forks in the triple clamps.

You can correct this by loosening the pinch bolts on the fork crown (where the fork stantions pass through the crown). Once these are all loosened, then loosen the main fork stem nut. Retighten the pinch bolts to the proper torque, then retighten the stem nut to the proper torque. As long as your bars are not bent, you should be good to go.

Edited by G31m

Ok, I am going to look into what yunz have suggested. As always, I appreciate the advice.

Thanks fellas,

Steve

A lot of times you can fix this by sticker the front wheel between your legs and quickly turning the bars in the opposite direction of the offset or hitting the front tire against a tree or hard object, again in the opposite direction of the offset. You'll see racers do this a lot after a crash on TV. If it's real bad and you have tools at the track or where ever you're riding, it's probably best to take it all apart.

That's exactly what we used to do with our bicycles. Yeah, I didnt figure it was going to be much of a problem; I just like to read what others' do in the same sutuation. Thanks everyone for all your input.