Sign in to follow this  

Questions and introduction

Hello all, new here even though I've lurked for awhile before I signed up. I just picked up a 90 XR200 for my wife and I to ride while we teach our 4 year old to ride. I haven't rode dirt in about 20 years, but I've been on a bike of one form or another for at least 30. My theory is that if my son takes to riding like our whole family always has, next year, my wife gets the 200 and I'll look for something a little bigger for me. 👍

About my (our) bike: Overall for a 20 year old machine, I'm pretty happy.

The previous owner upgraded the front end to a 92-93 XR250 so as to have a disc brake.

I've adusted the valves and timing chain. The carb had some moss growing in it and wouldn't idle at all. Pilot jet was plugged completely. So dipped the carb to clean it all and went from the stock 110 main to a 112 per the upgrades I've found here. Tried a 40 pilot, but it was running a bit rich, so I switched back. I have a K&N filter on it's way, so I may have to change back depending on how it runs. I went to remove the snorkle and found that someone had removed a chunk of the airbox on the RH side just as big or bigger than the snorkle hole... Not exactly a good spot, anything can get sucked in fromthere. I'll fabricate some sort of a new top for the airbox with filter foam or something after I patch the side hole.

Tires were 1 ride old when I got the bike and the chain and sprockets are in decent shape.

Now the questions.

1. Does anyone have a good source for seat covers? I'd prefer to get one that is at least the same color even if it doesn't have the graphics on it.

2. Same thing for plastics. The right side cover has was knocked loose and spent some time laying on the exhaust and subsequently melted and I'd like to replace it as it's the only thing that looks rough on the bike.

3. I've seen the XR200 and the XR200R mentioned here. What's the difference?

Cheers,

Rikk

Edited by RK-REX

If you just want to replace one side cover, I would look on ebay.

The XR200R has more of a motocross type frame with the linkage style rear suspension. Most of what people call XR200's are actually XR200R's.

I had an XR200 years ago for my wife. If I remember correctly, it had two rear shocks, but we're talking 20 years ago, so I may be wrong. You don't see many of these around.

- Brad

I've got a few ebay searches I do daily just for them, I was just wondering if any members had shops or anything like that.

Ok, now I've got it. I was wondering because I'd seen them refered to as both all over the web. I guess I have a 200R then. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Rikk