CRF 230 Chain adjustment

Ok, so i bought this bike used. The previous owner had 250ml extra oil in the case (why i dont know). Needless to say the chain also needed adjustment but do you think i can free up the left side nut and when it does turn the entire axle moves. Am i doing something wrong, is there a way to hold the axle from spinning.

If and when i get the chain adjusted should the top of the chain be level and the swoop be on the bottom with the 1" of travel. Right now both top and bottom of the chain are very saggy.

I need a service manual don't i.

Use a 17mm wrench on the left of the bike (bolt head) and a 24mm socket on the right hand side (nut).

lol beat me to it.

you dont need to loosen the axle alot, just enough to turn the snail adjusters.

be sure to press the tire forward when you tighten or one side wont be on the adjusters and the chain alignment will be askew

theres a nut on the right side. 24mm (15/16")

the head on the left size is 17mm if you need to hold the axle from spinning.

so i just have to loosen the right 24mm side and not the 17mm? and that will be enough to move the adjusters ?

so i loosen the nut (24mm) and tap the axle to the left to give the left adjuster some slack??

so i just have to loosen the right 24mm side and not the 17mm? and that will be enough to move the adjusters ?

I don't want to get an extension bar to loosen it but i might have to....its really really tight

Loosen the 24mm nut but hold the 17mm end with a wrench. Slack should actually be .8 -1.2" with the bike in neutral check the slack on the bottom part of the chain midway between the sprockets.

Loosen the 24mm nut but hold the 17mm end with a wrench. Slack should actually be .8 -1.2" with the bike in neutral check the slack on the bottom part of the chain midway between the sprockets.

ok i can get the nut (24mm) loose and the adjuster on the right moves no problem my problem is that the left side is still tight. Do i have to tap the axle to the left to loosen the left adjustor?

I'm a noob to this and appreciate the time you've taken to help me

ok i can get the nut (24mm) loose and the adjuster on the right moves no problem my problem is that the left side is still tight. Do i have to tap the axle to the left to loosen the left adjustor?

I'm a noob to this and appreciate the time you've taken to help me

Yes, you may need to tap the axle slightly to get it loose. If you have a torque wrench tighten the nut to 80 lb/ft when you are done.

Yes, you may need to tap the axle slightly to get it loose. If you have a torque wrench tighten the nut to 80 lb/ft when you are done.

well i ended up getting it. It just took some moving back and forth with the wrenches.

Thanks to all ?