Sign in to follow this  

Cranking a 03 xr250?

What is the easiest way to crank this bike? Do I use the compression release or not? Pull the choke up half way or all the way? Pull on the throttle at all? It sometimes takes 20,30 kicks. Am I doing everything wrong? Please help!

Seeing as how this is your first post, the best advice I can give you is to use the search function before asking your questions. Most everything you could want to know has been discussed in detail before. You can find answers immediately and don't have to wait on someone to respond.

I did this first time for you.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10334479

I have a 2000 model that can be excruciating to start. Since searching can be as laborious a task as starting your bike, I'll chime in. I engage my choke fully, find TDC (top dead center), small amount of throttle while kicking. It takes a few kicks at TDC, then it usually starts. I hear it try to fire up and I KNOW I am close. I need to throttle it for a minute or two once running (more and less throttle to keep from stalling) and then drop the choke to nothing after a minute or two. I don't let it die, I ride off. I ride for a few minutes, then it's rocking all day.

Hope that helps 👍

I have a 2000 model that can be excruciating to start. Since searching can be as laborious a task as starting your bike, I'll chime in. I engage my choke fully, find TDC (top dead center), small amount of throttle while kicking. It takes a few kicks at TDC, then it usually starts. I hear it try to fire up and I KNOW I am close. I need to throttle it for a minute or two once running (more and less throttle to keep from stalling) and then drop the choke to nothing after a minute or two. I don't let it die, I ride off. I ride for a few minutes, then it's rocking all day.

Hope that helps 👍

When cold starting, first turn the idle screw up a bit. Put the choke on full, open the throttle and hold, pull the comp release and kick through 3-4 times, this will put a good fuel charge in the cylinder. Then return the throttle to idle position, find TDC, let go of the comp release, return the kicker to the top of the stroke and give it a good kick. When it starts, put the choke lever on the middle position until the engine warms up a little.

I've got bigger-than-stock jets on my bike, and it always fires by at least 4 kicks when dead cold now. Here's what I do:

1) Open the fuel petcock a good minute or so before attempting to kick it over(I store my bike with an empty carb all the time)

2) Turn the idle speed screw up a bit(clockwise by maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn... in other words, turn it towards the ground on the side of the bike that you can access it from)

3) Engage the choke either 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way, depending on how cold it is out.

4) Pump the kickstarter slowly through about 2 TDC cycles, and then stop when it's at the next TDC

5) Kick it without any throttle until it fires... always kicking at TDC

6) Once it starts, adjust the idle speed down to a comfortable level and knock the choke down a half a notch or off completely after about 20-30 seconds

7) Let the bike warm up for about 3-5 minutes before riding it