Sign in to follow this  

KLX on a Diet

So a few days ago i was all ready to sell my klx and try to get my hands on a KX405f. When it occured to me i LOVE MY BIKE. The only two things i dont like are the squishy suspension, and the fat ass thanks to the "off road goodies." I rode it almost stock for two years. My extended warranty is up, and its time to bastardize it.

Which brings me to my current state of affairs. Its already jetted and piped and the air box opened up, so the next step was the AIS. A little research lead me to a ZERO cost solution to remove it and plug it up. Next on the chopping block was the reviered "magic button." I know, some of you couldnt live with out the e start, but i decided i could, so its gone! Next was the head light and computer, followed by the battery. I also removed the starter "ring gear." The last component to go was the coolant recovery tank.

Why? you ask. Well here are the numbers. Starting weight, roughly half a tank of fuel, all other fluids full

270 lbs

After the above overhaul initial Weight

-33lbs

237!

now i say initial, because i am skeptical my self of these results, but the bike feels WAY lighter. Its runs great, and im looking forward to hitting the trails.

Ill do a second weigh in when i get my new alloy sproket and number plate later this week and report in.

Cheers dudes

That is amazing !!!

I have lost the headlight and computer the speedo pickup had an slight accident and no longer was able to do anything so it was gone. AIS also was deleted. I took the battery out last year and re-installed for the winter(not that it accually does anything other than take up space and weighs alot)

How did you take of the starter ring? did you remove the starter and plug the hole in the case?

As for the over flow I am going to leave it on the KLX likes to heat up and I can't see that plastic and fluid more than a couple of pounds

Let me know what you did with the starter

Thanks Islandmike

it makes me laugh when I read one of these type of posts

why would you ever start with "roughly half a tank of fuel"

if you are going to do something do it right

THE ONLY WAY TO GIVE A MEANINGFUL WEIGHT IS - NO FUEL

I am always interested in weight reduction ideas - but am only interested in facts

How are you weighing the bike?

I have used a household scale and weighed one wheel at a time

using the above method my klx weighs 268 pounds - no gas but all other fluids in

the xr650r I used to have weighed 305 lbs -no gas -all other fluids in

the honda info said the xr650r weighed 272 dry - how is that possible?

it seems some manufacturers are giving "wet weights" - more realistic

it was a major difference from the xr to klx - 37 lbs - easily felt that

Ok so, im here for some clarification. And, just so you all know, i myself was skeptical of these results, and plan to confirm with a FULL tank, because dry weight doen NOT represent the bike i pilot...ever, it hasnt been "dry" since i loaded it in my truck brand new...anyhow here is some clarification.

Also, the reason i started with roughly half a tank of fuel, is, thats what was in the bike when i started the tear down, and also the reason im going to weigh it when its full and post those results

First ill address the starter. The starter ring gear is possibly the easiest to remove. There is a cover plate opposite the starter held on by two button head allen bolts, remove the cover and the ring gear comes out with it, and simply pulls off the cover, re install the cover, and your done.

The starter is pretty self explanitory to remove, but as for the remaining hole, i used what is refered to as a "rubber expansion plug." It consist of a hunk of rubber fit between two washers with a bolt run through the middle. It expands as you tighten a nut aginst the outside washer. So far it has sealed perfectly.

Here is a link to an example of what i used.http://shop.oreillyauto.com/product_images/img/dor/02610.jpg

As for my method of weighing the bike, yes i did use a household scale.

But the difference is, i laid a plank across the scale that would support the whole bike, and then subtracted the weight of the plank. In this case it was a 2x10 long enough to run the bike up on. I did a before and after measurement, then subtracted the two.

So, while my initial weight may or may not be valid, the difference between the initial weight and the final weight are more than valid, and quite impressive. I expected no more than 12-15 lbs, and seeing 30+ was amazing. its a weight difference you can really feel.

Island mike- If your bike is jetted properly(not factory) increasing the pressure rating of your radiator cap should help aleviate the need for a recovery tank, just a thought. And one less thing to break lol.

And yes, i believe it will be more like a KX but better! for me at least

Edited by scrnic1

Yep, gonna do that too, when i do the final weigh in. Probably average the difference if there is any. Got the number plate and alloy sproket, so the final weigh in should be tommorow or saturday. I ll let yall know the final result. Hoping to ride saturday and see how she feel being lighter and geared differently:ride:

Well you know what, I dont really care what the bike weighs dry let face it the thing is f$#@king heavy.

Anything you can do to help reduce the weight of the bike is great to know. The first mud or dirt you run through and the weight becomes a moot point. Skid plates, brush guards and anything else you take with you adds weight. In the territories our riding terrain is rock,sand and swamp!! did I mention the swamp. I'm up to the axles in muck over 50% of the time. I'm soaked, the bike is soaked and the weight of the bike is "heavy" so if I can shave a little off I am happy. To answer your question scrnic1 my bike is JD jetted and Two brothers pipe with a KX header and rekluse clutch. I haven't overheated for a while but I dont want to take a chance.

Islandmike

Well, the overflow tank is nice to have, so i would agree it may not be worth it to some to take the chance.

My goal was to remove every thing i could, loose as much weight as possible, with out PERMANENTLY modifying any of the systems removed, and spend almost no money doing it, i believe i succeded.

Aside from the AIS, i could have it back to factory setup inside of a hour, and for me, i believe its gonna be way worth it. Ill let you know next time i have to pry it out of the muck and its 30lbs lighter!

Very cool Nic! Finally a great post from someone who has done this! My goal for my KLX has always been to have it be like my 07 KX450f but with great tranny ratios, heavier flywheel and a lighting coil if I ever wanted it. The button was never a big deal to me either. Nice work.

Nic,

You have lit a fire under me. I almost sold my KLX for similar reasons but really love the bike. I had a KX450 before and wanted something in between both. I rode XRs for many years and these things kick over so easy, I never cared about the button. I would rather have the weight closer to a KX so I can ride the track if I want, but have the great tranny ratios for the trails. I just purchased a bunch of used KX parts for my transformation (airbox, plastics, seat and tank). I will probably upgrade to a bigger tank later, but the 0.2 gal difference between the KLX and KX tanks are no big deal for me now. I also got a 1.6 radiator cap to ditch the coolant reservoir. To keep an odometer and track of my existing mileage, I picked up a Panoram Computer as well.I plan to ditch the battery, starter and anything related to them I wont need. I also got a flywheel puller because I am going to pull the side cover to check the oil scavenge screen for crud and while I am there I will go a step further and pull the starter clutch and gear. I will post the results once I get to all of it. Stay tuned......

Awsome! I never considered that there was another starter gear under the side cover, I may have to pull the cover this weekend and see what thats all about.

Man, its great to hear i was able to help someone keep a KLX! I seached for a while about weight loss, and it seemed most people were happy to just leave the KLX what it was. I always thought it could be better, and i Hope this was the right way to do it. I may end up with a KX tank now also.

Let me know how your tear down goes man! Take Pics and post them, cause i forgot to i was in such a hurry!

Good Luck!

2010 in canada. 09's and 08's are still available as unsold old stock at dealers. The reason the 2010 wasnt released to the us was (i believe) due to the poor economy, and poor sales in general. So, the idea is there are lots of 09's and 08's left over. My local dealer has at least one, and its one of the smaller dealers in the area. Search your local dealers, and you should be able to find one.

With the release of the RMX450 and the popularity of this class of bike, it isnt going away. Like Nic said, it's economy related. I would expect an EFI version soon, maybe 2011.......

I haven't put mine on the scale yet but it sounds like you guys are on the right track.

I have lost the head light and the computer, it has a FMF Power Bomb header and a Q-4

as well as a JD jetting kit and an opened up airbox. Because of where I live in Northern

Ca. I am unable to remove the AIS system as the Rangers always check for it. I would

like to lose the catch tank and maybe switch to an E. Batt system. The trails my friends and I ride are quite technical and some times I can't reach the kick starter so the button stays.

I think KAWI is going to loose a lot of sales to SUZI over that RMX450.....

Lighter and fuel injected...only thing the KLX might have is a stronger engine. Will be interesting to see a magazine comparison.

Hey, I just picked up a KLX and the speedo isn't working. It looks like it is missing a part in the speed sensor that makes up the wheel spacer and is attached to the front wheel. Do any of you guys who are stripping these bikes down for weight savings want to get rid of (sell) the speedo cable?

I am also looking for a front rotor, but I imagine you aren't removing front rotors for weight savings, at least I hope not!! haha!

Nice work. I've done what is basically a KXF conversion, with an EBatt swap. Now that too has ceased to start the bike, and won't take a charge anymore, so it looks like I'm gonna be yanking all the starter related equipment as well!