Sign in to follow this  

License Plate Bracket

I did a search on this forum and couldn't really get the answers I need so please forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse:bonk:👍

I'm looking for a decent plate bracket that fits the XC-W fender. I would like simple, durable, and cheap. Ideas? Thanks is advance:thumbsup:

Get a piece of reinforced rubber like a truck mudflap is made of.

Cut it just a little larger then the license plate.

Drill the holes in it for the plate.

Drill the holes in it to mount it to the fender extension. If you look at the extension you will see three holes that you can use to mount the rubber to.

Get the right sized bolts and nuts and away you go.

I got the mudflap from a surplus store for about $5. It will last me forever.

That's a great idea and seems easy enough. The rear fender has two posts sticking down that have holes in them for screws though. I assume this is what the tail light and plate bracket is supposed to connect to. I'm wondering if a rubber flap with fender washers would stay in those posts and clear the tire enough?

That's a great idea and seems easy enough. The rear fender has two posts sticking down that have holes in them for screws though. I assume this is what the tail light and plate bracket is supposed to connect to. I'm wondering if a rubber flap with fender washers would stay in those posts and clear the tire enough?

You have an older bike - pre 2002?

Those posts do connect the tail light and the under fender. The plate attaches to the under fender which positions it about 6 inches rear of the top fender.

I haven't seen any plates setup on just the top fender.

I fabbed a bracket out of sheet stock.

IMG_3786.jpg

I don't use it anymore now that I have a proper brake light.

It was nothing more than a "T" with 2 holes on each end with a bend in it.

Yeah my garage is a mess...

I fabbed a bracket out of sheet stock.

IMG_3786.jpg

I don't use it anymore now that I have a proper brake light.

It was nothing more than a "T" with 2 holes on each end with a bend in it.

Yeah my garage is a mess...

That looks like exactly what I need. I'll try to fab up a bracket like that and see how it works.👍

cubera, I assumed you had the taillight extension on your bike.

You have an older bike - pre 2002?

Those posts do connect the tail light and the under fender.

I have a question related to this.

My 2000 KTM 300 had the silver rear fender on it with the under fender (tail light/license plate holder). When I looped it and destroyed the fender I replaced it with a fender that I bought from Rocky Mountain MC. This fender is orange and looks nice but it does not have those posts, so I am unable to mount the tail light/under fender. (They mention this on their web site, so no beef with them). I could buy an original silver fender and that will have the posts for mounting the tail light/under fender, but I like orange.

So my question is… does anybody know if I can buy an orange fender for my 2000 KTM 300 that allows me to mount the tail light/under fender to it?

I like the way the bike looks with the tail light/underfender.

There are a number of aftermarket under fenders you can use. Sicass racing, UFO, EE. In order to secure the end portion you can drill a couple of holes and run carraige bolts in the place of the plastic posts. You can see the bolt ends from the top, but I got used to it.

Edited by RayIn

I bolt mine through the mudflap/airbox. I see a lot of other dirtbikes and sportbikes with the plate there. Just remember to wipe it off so it's visible before hitting the road.