Sign in to follow this  

DR650 - what does normal valve noise sound like?

Just curious.

At the moment, nothing sounds right to me due to a sinus infection and fluid on my ears.

But I just did the 600 mile service and am curious about how that might change the sound.

'08 DR650. 611 miles on it.

Just curious.

At the moment, nothing sounds right to me due to a sinus infection and fluid on my ears.

But I just did the 600 mile service and am curious about how that might change the sound.

'08 DR650. 611 miles on it.

They are not quiet. Air cooled engines tend to radiate more noise and if you've installed a skid plate it will be louder yet.

They are not quiet. Air cooled engines tend to radiate more noise and if you've installed a skid plate it will be louder yet.

Roger that. Thanks.

I have the SW Mototech skid plate on it. Also, when I put the tank back on I removed the cosmetic black plastic piece that basically blocks the view to underneath the tank. That too may have buffered a bit of noise.

After I finished the valve check I took a ride and I would hear a strange popping sound. I would think it came from the muffler. Then I would think it came from the engine.

I got home and shut down the bike and rolled it into the basement and then when I was walking up the stairs I could still hear that freeky popping sound. I figure out that one of my ears had stopped up and that was the source. At the moment I have a low grade ear ache to boot.

So I'm just glad I didn't go to taking the bike apart again.

Roger that. Thanks.

I have the SW Mototech skid plate on it. Also, when I put the tank back on I removed the cosmetic black plastic piece that basically blocks the view to underneath the tank. That too may have buffered a bit of noise.

After I finished the valve check I took a ride and I would hear a strange popping sound. I would think it came from the muffler. Then I would think it came from the engine.

I got home and shut down the bike and rolled it into the basement and then when I was walking up the stairs I could still hear that freeky popping sound. I figure out that one of my ears had stopped up and that was the source. At the moment I have a low grade ear ache to boot.

So I'm just glad I didn't go to taking the bike apart again.

I had the inside (against the engine/frame) of my skid plate coated with Line-X undercoating. Made a huge difference in resonate and reflective noise. 👍