wheel bearing maint wisdom

I have wheel bearing seals to replace my beat ones on 98 xr400. The bearings turn smoothly.

Is it wise to remove the bearings to clean and grease? I have a puller, but does the process of removing them stress the metal to the point it wouldn't be smart to reinstall? Thoughts?

If your bearings seem in good condition you can *carefully* remove the outer seal and clean out as much grease as you can, then repack and reinstall the seal. If the bearing is removed, generally it cannot be reused and must be replaced. This is because removal puts such force on the inner race that it gets distorted, or at least the bearing will no longer tight or will no longer turn smoothly.

If your bearings seem in good condition you can *carefully* remove the outer seal and clean out as much grease as you can, then repack and reinstall the seal. If the bearing is removed, generally it cannot be reused and must be replaced. This is because removal puts such force on the inner race that it gets distorted, or at least the bearing will no longer tight or will no longer turn smoothly.

Correct all around.

The rubber seal on the outside of the bearing can be easily removed using a teeny flat-head screwdriver. Pack full of fresh grease, then press the seal back in using finger pressure - it will pop right back in.

JayC

When you replace go to an industrial bearing house and buy sealed bearings, about 1/4 Honda price and no waiting. The wheel bearing are standard 6000 series metric small bearing and have a 4 digit code number indicating size. There also may be some prefix or suffix codes indicating feature but the basic number will be something like 6202, 6303, or such.