Sign in to follow this  

Woods/MX YZ 250, 250 XC, or CRF 450x

Looking at selling my 450 Yamaha and either going back to a 2 stroke or a Honda 450 but I'm not really sure what to do.

I race hare scrambles (Open C, may go to B this year) but also like to ride motocross tracks. (cross training for racing snowmobiles, have a little moto track built at my shop) With that said I don't think the 450x would be good for moto but would be awesome in the woods. The YZ 250 I've been told with some work can be a awesome woods bike and still be able to ride moto. Have no clue about the KTM's, and there are no dealers in my area closer than a 2-3 hour drive, but they look like awesome bikes!

Thoughts?

The YZ and XC's do both well, I'd base your decision on price and local dealer support.

The YZ and XC's do both well, I'd base your decision on price and local dealer support.

what he said

Your original assumption about the X is backwards. They like to go fast. They are more at home on the track in stock form than they are in the woods. I have an X and have put several dollars in it to get it set up for the woods. For example: Rekluse Pro, triple clamps (07 models had 24mm offset, 08 and newer have a better 22mm), suspension resprung and revalved, and a few other small things. It is still a little heavy in the woods, but it is agile, and has loads of power. If you want a lighter bike that can do both moto and woods the YZ250 or YZ250F are good choices. They will both require some mods to pull double duty. The KTM 200 2 stroke would be a great woods bike, but the valving in suspension may have to be changed to pull off moto and woods riding.

I have both, a 2005crf450x and a 2003 cr250 2 stroke. I am a power guy, I love power when I twist the throttle. The 450x has quite a bit more power than my 2 stroke but I have more fun on the 2 stroke. I don't know if it is the weight or what but the 2 stroke is my bike of choice. I'm not saying get a honda 2 stroke from what I hear they are not the best but I think you will love a 250 2 stroke .

250 or 300xc! i have a 200 (maybe you get that?) and its awesome! light, awesome woods type power. i love mine there engines are bullet proof too. 200+ hours on a top end! yz cant do that! IMO KTM..

once its in your blood it aint getting out!👍

Josmoloco and tommy B have set the words.

ill put them in stone.

YZ250

Josmoloco and tommy B have set the words.

ill put them in stone.

YZ250

Hey, We said the xc would be good also....👍

YZ! 👍🤣

Being the best MX bike out there, it's also the best bike for the woods if you make it so! 🙂

another XC or YZ vote, if your pretty fast, the yz wont take much for mods