Sign in to follow this  

Presure Washing Your Bike a Bad Idea?

ive heard good and bad things about presure washing dirtbikes. What do you guys think? I use an electric presure washer on my 450X after every ride.

I have heard the same,i pressure wash mine all the time but i plug my pipe,air box vents and i try not to hit my cyclinder,and electrical wires with the full pressure of water.If your bike has more mud then bike park it on your lawn(if you own one) and put a sprinkler underneath and water both!

I have heard it can blow grease out of bearings and such but there are people who never have a problem.

I wash my bike to get huge chunks of dirt off and when I can't tell what color it is anymore so I really am not the best person to answer this. 👍

A lot of people disagree with using a pressure washer on a motorcycle. I have always done it because I’m lazy. As long as the exhaust is capped, and you take care not to spray close and direct onto the wheel bearings, suspension bearings and electronics, I haven’t had a problem.

Avoid forcing water into the pivot points.

I used one the entire season last year. After a winter teardown, I found no issues with my bike from water.

Usually I will wet the whole bike down really good. Wait for 15 to 30 minutes for the mud to soften, and when I come back the dirt usually rinses right off.

A lot of people disagree with using a pressure washer on a motorcycle. I have always done it because I’m lazy. As long as the exhaust is capped, and you take care not to spray close and direct onto the wheel bearings, suspension bearings and electronics, I haven’t had a problem.

it forces water/dirt into bearings, you need to be careful around them, swingarm, linkage, axles

Like anything, pressure washing can be great, or it can be very damaging. A pressure washer is a tool, and like any tool it must be used correctly or it can cause damage. Don't blast at any areas where there are seals or bearings, don't blast in your airbox (a cover or some tape over the vents helps here), don't blast in your exhaust (an exhaust plug helps here), and if you want your bike to look good, don't blast your graphics off. As long as you are careful there is no problem washing your bike with a pressure washer, especially if it is one without a lot of pressure.

I would definately use a pressure washer if I was riding multiple times per week. Unfortunately, I hardly ever get to ride twice in one week. It's either Saturday or Sunday for me. I'm always too spent right after riding to wash, so I garage it and come back to it Monday night. I'll warm up the bike, then pull the air filter (and put on a cover), plug the exhaust, cover the controls then rinse and hand wash. Usually takes me an hour. Then, one night later that week...I'll sneak out to the garage and spend an hour detailing. Heh...pretty stupid, but I don't get NEAR enough bike time, so spending time washing her and making her pretty helps a bit.

I never use a pressure washer.....and also I have never had wheel or headstock or swingarm bearings fail. Prefer lots of water at low pressure (hose, bucket etc) to little water at high pressure.

Just like everyone else has mentioned, if you have to use a prsser washer, be careful around bearings, exhaust, electrical, and airbox. the main thing is to not get water where its not support to be. I only use pressure wash when I dont have time to hand wash it with a garden hose.

The way I see it, the areas a pressure washer works well are also were you don't want to use it. The chain, all pivots, seals, gaskets, bearings. All the easy stuff to wash by hand can handle the pressure. And if you use harsh soaps like those at a car wash, even more damage.

With the type of soil around here, there is no way in the world I could wash my bike without a pressure washer. I wash it after every ride, and re-grease the bearings monthly. If your too lazy to grease your bearings before it's too late, it's your own fault.

With the type of soil around here, there is no way in the world I could wash my bike without a pressure washer. I wash it after every ride, and re-grease the bearings monthly. If your too lazy to grease your bearings before it's too late, it's your own fault.

how do you grease a sealed bearing?

My HondaGX+CatPump pressure washer is too powerful for most things, especially my bikes. I've been thinking about getting a less powerful electric one, but I find that the water pressure out of the hose is powerfull enough to clean a bike rather easily.

Take a pick and remove the seal, clean out the bearing with contact cleaner, then re-pack with grease and re-install the nylon or rubber/metal seal.

If your referring to rollerbearings the seals are usually plastic and easily removed with a small screwdriver and then pressed back in.