Sign in to follow this  

Crashed and can't remember but no sign of me hitting my head (well not hard).

So I was hauling ass through the whoops and then the ground attacked me. I don’t fully remember the events or know what went wrong, but I fortunately only ended up with a separated shoulder, broken thumb and serious back pain (still out for 6-8 week). The doctor said I had a concussion, but my head didn’t hurt and my helmet doesn’t look damaged. Yes I know toss it, but it there any possibility that the impact of my abrupt stop caused the amnesia without my head hitting the ground? My co worker had a similar event when he crashed his car but no sign of damage to his head and he didn’t have a helmet.

I doubt it is amnesia as much as you just blacked out. Same thing happened to me years ago when I was younger in a crash. I remember coming around a corner into a jump. The next thing I remember, I am laying on the ground, bike is about 50 feet farther down the track than me, and I hear my friend running and yelling "holy shit, are you okay!" Just a broken collar bone and a few bumps and bruises, not even a concussion, no head aches or anything.

No can be 100% asymptomatic and still have a concussion. In most head injury/concussion cases it's called the coup-counter coup effect. More or less your brain continues to travel at the speed you're at smacking the front of your skull then ricocheting off the back of your skull more or less. Memory loss is usually a pretty good sign that you rung your bell on something.

No can be 100% asymptomatic and still have a concussion. In most head injury/concussion cases it's called the coup-counter coup effect. More or less your brain continues to travel at the speed you're at smacking the front of your skull then ricocheting off the back of your skull more or less. Memory loss is usually a pretty good sign that you rung your bell on something.

http://www.addtreatmentcenters.com/framefiles/articles/Head%20Injury.html

I hope I never get that stuff 👍 The name (coup-counter coup effect) is just way too scary ) !!!

Edited by ray_ray

Supposedly I picked my bike up and was sitting at the side of the track for about 15 minutes "watching people ride", before someone came and helped me. I still have no recollection of this or how long I was at my truck. I also have no idea if I was knocked out of just hopped up to grab my bike. I usually go through those whoops in 3rd or 4th so I was going pretty fast. I guess I'm glad it wasn't a more severe hit to the head, I can't imagine what would have happened if my helmet was all busted up.

definitely get a new helmet, it may have damage you cant see, typically the foam crushes between the shell and the foam, so you cant see it by looking at it, the shell pops right back out like nothing happened

I would look for snell 2010 or a european rated helmet, they are testing them for dirt type injuries instead of auto type injuries (hitting rollbar twice sort of test)

Something similar happened to me when I was playing hockey. I got hit and then I got up and skated to the bench to sit down. My dad later told me that I was on the ice for almost 5 minutes before I got up. I had no idea, it was a weird feeling.

Aliens. I think you were abducted by aliens. At least that's what I tell everyone every time I knock myself out 👍

Call the tabloids

I flipped a car, end for end, twice, when I was seventeen. No seatbelt, concussion, but not severe. At first I did not remember 30 minutes prior to the crash, then eventually it slowly came back over a 6 month period - all except major parts of the crash, which I still don't remember (only small parts).

You'll live. See a *good* chiro for your back once you feel better, if for no other reason than to get a baseline. My crash screwed up my lower back and my neck. If I had seen a chiro within a year or so I would have saved myself a lot of pain, but plain MDs didn't know why my back hurt and couldn't tell me why my neck popped, cracked and eventually would get stuck.

Well seeing as I work in the medical field it is quite common to experience "SHOCK" like symptoms such as blacking/ passing out without head trauma all it takes is some sort of stimuli. So you hitting the ground and obtaining your injuries would def. be enough to cause this. For some people all it takes is for them to get scared and they will black out so dont feel bad (although of course not good) about what happened to you and not being able to explain it. Sounds like you took care of the most important part of your body pretty well to me!

Aliens. I think you were abducted by aliens. At least that's what I tell everyone every time I knock myself out 👍

Call the tabloids

the_flake_equation.png

I crashed good (I guess) about 16 years ago. I still don't remember any of it but that's good because I can just make up any story I want. I usually tell people I flew off a hill and was hit by a low flying aircraft. Like you, I ended up with a broken/separated shoulder and a concussion. I was back snowboarding (6) weeks later.

I've had concussions before. I'm sure you know this, but, a concussion is caused by an abrubt stop that causes the brain to hit the inside of your skull. It's a lot more technical than that, though. I would say you could have a concussion if you did have an abrupt stop. I don't see why you wouldn't feel any pain. My concussion headaches last from 1-2 weeks. I cant remember the whole day from my previous concussion and only a little from the one before that. And the same day and after from my 2nd concussion, I had pretty bad amnesia. I kept waking up and not knowing what was going on.

Try to not get concussions, they affect me still today. I forget things quickly and my mood can be unstable at times.

I've had concussions before. I'm sure you know this, but, a concussion is caused by an abrubt stop that causes the brain to hit the inside of your skull. It's a lot more technical than that, though. I would say you could have a concussion if you did have an abrupt stop. I don't see why you wouldn't feel any pain. My concussion headaches last from 1-2 weeks. I cant remember the whole day from my previous concussion and only a little from the one before that. And the same day and after from my 2nd concussion, I had pretty bad amnesia. I kept waking up and not knowing what was going on.

Try to not get concussions, they affect me still today. I forget things quickly and my mood can be unstable at times.

Yep and at the ripe old age of 14, you may have all ready limited UR NFL playing time 👍

Yep and at the ripe old age of 14, you may have all ready limited UR NFL playing time🤣

👍 I can do without NFL.

I am sure the unstable mood has nothing to do with the fact that you are 14. When I was a smart ass teenager, I "forgot" lots of things and was probably very moody. I have a feeling that depending on the severity of your concussion along with each individual's body has a lot to do with how long carry over effects, like head aches and such, last. I've had minor concussions and never had any ill feelings, no head aches or anything...but I guess I was moody and forgetful....but could have just been teenage hormones and puberty.

I crashed doing a hare scrambles at Budds Creek and lost about 1-2 hours of memory. I was talking and walking.....someone even saw me smoking sitting on the side of the track......I didnt have any cigs on me either. I remember a couple tiny blips of stuff but nothing else including riding out of the woods on a 4 wheeler and a golf cart ambulance. Came to with a lady in fatigues asking......do you feel a little groggy.......I answered....Yes?

The brain is a funny thing!

I think it's just a brain overload, everything happens so quick and your brain is more focused on reacting then it is on storing the event as a memory. Same thing happened to me last year in a race, all i remember is getting on the throttle my bike going a bit sideways then the next thing i know the bike is being pulled off me but my head didnt hurt. So i just got up and finished the race.

I am sure the unstable mood has nothing to do with the fact that you are 14. When I was a smart ass teenager, I "forgot" lots of things and was probably very moody. I have a feeling that depending on the severity of your concussion along with each individual's body has a lot to do with how long carry over effects, like head aches and such, last. I've had minor concussions and never had any ill feelings, no head aches or anything...but I guess I was moody and forgetful....but could have just been teenage hormones and puberty.

I don't know if that was sarcasm, or what. But, I do forget things way more often than other kids my age. They always get on me because I can't remember recent things. Then again, I'm diagnosing myself, which isn't always accurate.