Can I JB weld this crack in my cases?

This is on my 2000 YZ250. I seized the bottom end and was going to split the cases and I noticed this crack above the countershaft sprocket. Can I JB weld it or will it start causing problems down the road. I dont really want to buy a new case halve, but now would be the time to do it if anyone thinks it will cause issues.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mshushnar/CrackedCase#5452301259368746306

Thanks

I did worse with jbweld and a hose clamp around that output shaft, the whole thing was broken off, bottom half gone

I put a hose clamp and jbwelded the crap out of it, and it held until I got rid of the quad

I did worse with jbweld and a hose clamp around that output shaft, the whole thing was broken off, bottom half gone

I put a hose clamp and jbwelded the crap out of it, and it held until I suckered some poor purchaser to drop cash in my hand and got rid of the quad

Fixed it for ya Mega! ?

I was wondering the same thing? You need to have a really reputable Tig welder fix that for you!

A good welder with a good machine and eperiance welding cast alum is most important. Its hard to weld cast alum, there is more of a procedure involved to do it correctly.

Even if you could use JB weld, it would be almost impossible to clean that crack up good enough for the JB weld to stick.

ohh it'll stick just fine to the case, but it's not load or pressure bearing at all, all it does it keep it from leaking

This is on my 2000 YZ250. I seized the bottom end and was going to split the cases and I noticed this crack above the countershaft sprocket. Can I JB weld it or will it start causing problems down the road. I dont really want to buy a new case halve, but now would be the time to do it if anyone thinks it will cause issues.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mshushnar/CrackedCase#5452301259368746306

Thanks

Well, first off, you cant buy one case half, you have to get both as they are torqued and line bored. It looks like its a load bearing spot, you probably should just have it welded.

• Like 1

ohh it'll stick just fine to the case, but it's not load or pressure bearing at all, all it does it keep it from leaking

Even with oil and crap on the surface? I guess if you clean around the crack and apply the JB evenly over the crack and cleaned area it holds up good enough?

Thanks guys I guess Ill have to get it welded then, The Rod Bearing seized so im putting a new wiseco bottem end kit in it. I dont know when or why the case cracked. I just noticed it but I feel like they arent related. I have one more question.

Can I weld it before I split the cases or should I split the cases then have someone weld it while nothing is connected to that case half?

Im taking it to a shop to have the cases split and a new crank put in so it would be a hassle to have them split it then go get it welded so if that could be avoided that would be nice.

Thanks

Thanks guys I guess Ill have to get it welded then, The Rod Bearing seized so im putting a new wiseco bottem end kit in it. I dont know when or why the case cracked. I just noticed it but I feel like they arent related. I have one more question.

Can I weld it before I split the cases or should I split the cases then have someone weld it while nothing is connected to that case half?

I'm taking it to a shop to have the cases split and a new crank put in so it would be a hassle to have them split it then go get it welded so if that could be avoided that would be nice.

Thanks

Your going to need the case's split before its welded. I am a welder by trade and I can tell you that it is going to get HOT when they hit it with the torch. Tell em to crank it to 200 and floor it! If you were closer I'd stitch it up for ya. Good luck and keep us posted.