Trouble starting 2001 XR650r

This has always been a chore...kick starting this monster almost seems impossible. Normally I "pop-start" the dirt bike and save on energy. Does anyone out there hava a "STEP-BY-STEP" on how to start the motorcycle. I have seen the U-tube videos - but this does not help...๐Ÿ‘

Turn on gas, choke fully on, pull in compression release lever and kick bike over swiftly about 3 times, (Called clean out kicks, it will be very easy to kick over with the lever in) then release lever and kick kick starter down (Possilby several times after coming all the way up) until you feel a lot of pressure (This will be TDC) then keeping foot on the kickstarter, pull in compression release and go just a tad lower on the kickstarter, release compression lever, bring kickstart all the way to the top and kick down with all you got.

Repeat as needed except for the clean out kicks...

You should be able to put it to half choke right when it fires up.

It sounds complicated but once you get it down its quite easy. Be sure you have fresh gas and a good plug.

Good luck

Posted this on another forum half joking around. It's basically the same as what scooter12 said and what most others will tell you the BRP drill is.

The drill for the first start of the day, or a good drill to run through if the bike won't start after a drop.

Cold bike - Choke use at your discretion if you feel like it or the jetting is slightly off. On mine I don't use choke unless it's really cold outside.

Warm - Hot bike = No choke at all.

Hold decomp

Twist throttle to full on. Yes I know stock carb is not a pumper and this should make no difference, but it's a magical drill so go with it.

Give 5 good full kicks.

Let off the decomp

Don't touch the throttle

kick to TDC

Don't touch the throttle

Pull decomp and go a tiny bit past TDC

Don't touch the throttle

Let kick start come back to the top.

Don't touch the throttle

Give a smooth kick all the way through. The BRP has a very long kick start, so it's about motion more than brute force.

Don't touch the throttle

Hear the bike roar to life

Don't touch the throttle

Let her get nice and warm

turn off choke

Grab a handfull of throttle and catch up to the E-starters. ๐Ÿ‘

So i guess its called "Clean out kicks," but in this instance, what it is doing is essentially priming the fuel system and probably allowing some fuel in the cylinder head. I guess it would be called "Clean out kicks" if the bike were to fall on its side, flood itself and the "clean out kicks" clears the combustion chamber of excessive fuel. (makes sense to me)

Grab a handfull of throttle and catch up to the E-starters. ๐Ÿ‘

Its funny you say this, my buddies had e-start and would always have to wait for me to get mine running so we could cruise to school. theirs were half ways warmed up before i even got it to fire! but i got it down now!๐Ÿคฃ

Turn on gas, choke fully on, pull in compression release lever and kick bike over swiftly about 3 times, (Called clean out kicks, it will be very easy to kick over with the lever in) then release lever and kick kick starter down (Possilby several times after coming all the way up) until you feel a lot of pressure (This will be TDC) then keeping foot on the kickstarter, pull in compression release and go just a tad lower on the kickstarter, release compression lever, bring kickstart all the way to the top and kick down with all you got.

Repeat as needed except for the clean out kicks...

You should be able to put it to half choke right when it fires up.

It sounds complicated but once you get it down its quite easy. Be sure you have fresh gas and a good plug.

Good luck

๐Ÿ‘

If you follow exactly these instructions there's no way you won't get it running.

i also had a very difficult first week with my bike.๐Ÿคฃ

(although mine has an e-start, i always kick it when it's cold).

so first week with the bike and having to wait for the new battery from Honda to arrive wasn't very pleasant.

after learning to do the drill mentioned above, (without the clean out kicks) bike always fired if not in 1st then definitely in 2nd time.

i had to play with the choke right after that if i recall correct when i had the stock carb on and if the weather was very cold in order to keep it running for the first minute.

but that was it. very simple and very easy.try kicking a husaberg for a chance.๐Ÿ™‚

if on the other hand you have a pumper carb on then this drill will get the bike running 1st time 99%.

• 6 months later...

I read some starting instructions online for the XR650R and have been having mixed results. Sometimes it fired right up, sometimes it wore me out! After a drop in the woods yesterday, she simply wouldn't crank over. I used a bunch of "clear out kicks" with the decomp lever pulled, and eventually got it cranked over using the TDC method, then going just past TDC with the decomp lever, then one swift kick.

I'm sure with practice and better technique I'll get more efficient at it.

I've had pretty good luck starting mine using the above method. One thing I add is to grab the front brake while kicking. Keeps me from giving even the littlest bit of throttle.

Only once did I have a problem starting it. I stalled it on the trail and it wouldn't start for anything. I was about to give up and remembered reading on here about cracking the throttle wide open and kick like hell. Started right up.

You don't really even have to use the decompression lever {when hot anyway}just kick the bike slowly till the compression gets hard and the bike even makes a clicking sound when it is at tdc,listen for the sound,stop,bring up the kicker,pull in the comp lever,kick it slowly just a little bit,bring the kicker back up and give er a slow thorough boot...listen for the click its fool proof:ride:

• 1 month later...

Hey manolis82, where did you get the Estart??? i have been lookin for one of those since i got mine! But i havent had as much trouble as what you guys are having. the only time i ever use the decomp is when it locks up top. and then i just kick like h*** and i havent ever had trouble getting it going. even in 45 degree weather...

but i do have a question of my own... I just rejetted my carb, and im have a hell of a time getting it back in. any suggestions?!?!?

Hey manolis82, where did you get the Estart??? i have been lookin for one of those since i got mine! But i havent had as much trouble as what you guys are having. the only time i ever use the decomp is when it locks up top. and then i just kick like h*** and i havent ever had trouble getting it going. even in 45 degree weather...

but i do have a question of my own... I just rejetted my carb, and im have a hell of a time getting it back in. any suggestions?!?!?

The e-start is from dallara:

http://www.dallaramoto.com/kit_avv.htm