Sign in to follow this  

Still a KTM wantabe? This XR650L

QUOTE=bultaco;9323782]What "enduro" might this past owner have gone to and left such a darling bike behind?

Just curious to the suggestions.👍

XR650R:thumbsup:

never mind i read it wrong. i thought you were scott.(research rat) my best friend drove up there and bought that bike. its a nice bike with great suspension but so heavy. the problem with the crf forks and that large tank is the forks hit the tank when you trying turning the bike sharp so donuts are competely out of the question. the guy definitely spent some money on the bike i just dont know if i would have done the same thing. also the back tire (teraflex) is so out of balance that it bounces off the road at 40mph and up.

There are plenty of members on TT with bikes modded this far or further. Nothing too far out of the ordinary there.

I have to say that as the new owner it is an awesome bike. It will be loosing the tank due to stearing radius issue...and it needs a diet plan. Plenty of power!!! Recently learned 92 oct gas doesn't do well..... The engine was knocking like crazy!! I want to move the battery but I have more reading to do.

If you/ PO didn't change too much and the compression is still "stock"--87 octaine is best(lower compression machine)IMO.👍

but the XR's live forever

If that was 100% true, I wouldn't be in the market for an orange bike.

My 600 may have been unfairly abused, but it does demonstrate that the above quote is not an absolute.

I love riding it, but I don't like it nickle and diming me every 3-4 rides.

his compression isnt stock. he has a 101mm je piston with 10.5 compression. the bike runs awesome until we filled up with 92(it could be just bad gas). as soon as we put some octane boost in it, it ran like a champ.

performance wise the KTM525EXC is sweet, but the XR's live forever
My 600 may have been unfairly abused, but it does demonstrate that the above quote is not an absolute.

Do you think that any bike, let alone a KTM, is going to be immune to "unfair abuse?"

Yes I would guess the PO is headed for a KTM or a Husk-Varna (I know it is too much trouble to put another vowel in their like the rest of the world talks). The Eurotrash bikes always get the attention. Remember when open class bikes were emerging from their 400 CC roots. Remember all those 425 then 465 meanwhile Maico unveils their 490 and next thing ya know the ricers are all 500 CC. I just couldn't take their attitude here in the NW. When I was looking for a large displacement dualsport 4 stroke the Honda, suzi etc dealers were dealing. I called the KTM guys and they were quoting a higher than retail price cuz their 622 CC or what ever was going away and we would never see it again so If I wanted one I better drive their immediately and ....Click I hung up and went with the bike that is still simple, easy to maintain, Is still and airhead and yes....I know it is not orange. I know guys that have orange bikes. They are fast....They break....they are expensive to fix. It is all about what ya want... Those orange and black jackets are way cool.

Do you think that any bike, let alone a KTM, is going to be immune to "unfair abuse?"

Not even close. But when the Honda vs KTM threads pop up the going mantra is that XRs will withstand anything you can throw at it forever and ask for more. And that's not always true.

Wow, I read this thread a few times here. Couldnt figure out what the heck is going on. Now I see...

I was thinking about going orange as well. my buddys KTM LC4 does wheelies on command, and the low center of gravity makes it a freaking crotch rocket on and off road. I have more ground clearance... thats important as well.

Anyway. I am pushing 11600 miles on the old Honda which I give some extra gas every once in a while 👍... I hope to get 50k from it.

On the KTM link I am asking how many miles they get... no avail

So I did some major searching and it seems then need rebuild every 14-25k miles...

PROs power and superiority in every way

CONs rebuild far earlier than Honda and I hear they cost alot to maintain

Its hard to say I wont get a KTM though... They are freaking awesome bikes... just dont like the idea that I really cannot work on it and it needs rebuilding twice for every top end we do.

For me, I am going to sit back and watch my friends bike and see if its worth it.

Anyone buy a KTM and have better experience than 25k miles?

I have an XR600R and a 2002 KTM 400 EXC. I like them both for different reasons but I think that the XR is not in the same class as a modern enduro bike. The KTM airbox is crap and does not like water (Rob knows all about this). The ergonomics of the KTM are far and away the best I have ever felt. The XR tires me out to pick up more than a few times a day plus kicking to get it lit again. Having said that, the XR is more comfortable on long days than the KTM, by a lot. I use the XR as an adventure bike and the KTM is for racing and tight woods rides. I put ~70 hours on my KTM last year and a similar number on the XR. Both bikes have similar cost of ownership although the KTM gets oil changes at 20 hours and the XR happily goes 30+ depending on the dust and drinks the cheap stuff. Insurance is about the same though. Both bikes are easy to work on. The KTM requires more disassembly to get to things but it is very straightforward. The other thing in the KTM's favor is the power. My 400cc KTM has 12 more HP at the rear wheel than my 600CC XR!

Based on looking at a number of different bikes before getting my XR650l, trying to compare one to the KTM's or Husqvarnas is like comparing apples and oranges.

The way I see it is the XR is an old compromised design but gives you an easy going simple, reliable old school dual sport. For me it was perfect, as I'm "old school" in years as well as tastes and cannot begin to pretend that with a few simple mods this bike is not a lot more capable than I am ever going to be, or want to be.

The KTM and Husky offerings are pure dirt bikes IMO, yes they can go on the road etc. but so can a tractor. For people much younger and with better skills, I can certainly see the attraction and would have been all over one if I were 25 years younger.

What makes little sense to me, is to buy an XR650l when you need/want something like an KTM/Husky. Then you spend a lot of money upgrading everything and end up with a bike that still isn't really like a KTM/Husky and you potentially lose the reliability of the original XR model and it's easy going nature. I've heard of issues, at fairly low miles with the Euro bikes, but some of this has to be down to how much more stressed components are with the much higher power outputs and the fact they are usually ridden harder.

Horses for courses - just my 2 cents. One is only better than the other based on what you need/use it for.