cleaner to clean my chain?

i have a stock chain on a crf450r, i have brake and carb cleaner. brake cleaner seems to do wonders, can i clean my chain with it? my chain is DIRTY and there is some gunk on there.

i know you can use kerosene or gas but i really don't feel like heading out to the store AGAIN and spending more money

thanks

No Gas, brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Really bad idea. They will wreck the o-rings and dissolve the grease in the pin/bushing area.

Use citrus based degreaser or kerosene.

Unless you have a standard chain, then clean it with whatever you have around the shop.

What about this? http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/product/CHAIN-CLEANING-BRUSH/?catalogId=103036

ANyone have any experience with this chain cleaning brush?

just pick up a new toilet brush and dedicate it to cleaning the chain. keep the extra $7 for beer money. the toilet brush works very well. i've had my current one for 2 years and still scrubbing.

so does anyone know if a stock crf450r has an x-ring or o-ring. i'm slowly learning about this bike.

They are both O ring chains, there are a few ways of looking at the benefits of the two. The x ring lubes itself but its heavier and causes more drag (IE powerloss). The O ring chain requires you to clean and lubricate frequently.

IMO a nylon brissle brush and kerosene cleans the chains the best and a lubricant that doesnt attract dirt and fling off all over your swingarm and sprocket works the best.

so does anyone know if a stock crf450r has an x-ring or o-ring. i'm slowly learning about this bike.

CRF450R, not CRF450X, correct? Don't know about the "X", but the "R"s come with non-o/x-ring chain.

I pressure wash the bike, then srcrub the chain with a wire brush, then pressure was the chain again. Be sure to lube immediately afterwards or it turns into a rusty mess!

And those grunge brushes are a good idea, but mine broke and I never replaced it since a regular wire brush works a little better I think.

Edit:

I'm referring to non-o-ring chains here. I wouldn't metal wire brush a ringed chain.

I agree wd40 is a lubricant , for a wrist watch, but much to light for a rk520 o-ring chain. It IS one of the best cleaners made for removing gunk etc and a good lube for very light moving parts that are not exposed to the weather.