Sign in to follow this  

TTR 240 float pin tabs broke - HELP!

I've been lurking around here for a while. Great site! I've learned so much by reading the threads. Based on info I bought my son a ttr 125 for Christmas. I liked it a lot so I kept my eye out and finally picked up an '03 ttr 250 last weekend. Now to the problem

I took the carb apart to clean. I was trying to remove the float pin but it was jammed up. you could tell the pin was roughed up from previous cleaning. Anyhow, when trying to remove the pin the tabs for the float broke off! Is there anyway anyone know of to repair? any place to find stock replacement or aftermarket carb?

I am so bummed now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll look for the picture of a repair i did on one..I involves drilling a small hole below,putting a cotter pin in,wrap the two ends around,then bend the end up so to use the 'hole' in the end of the pin.

Iv'e tried JB weld and everything else..it just releases after a while.Kinda strange..because JB weld used to work for this problem..Ya that sucks!

Definitely let me know if you have the pics. I am not following the description 100%.

Also, the both tabs broke near the base. not sure if the fix you mention is for a break near the base or near the pin or either.

Also, I just realized the titel say's ttr 240 instead of 250. fat fingered that one.

any other thoughts on getting oem or aftermarket carb? i couldn't find much of anything when searching through the posts so i take it probably not.

Thanks

I am wondering will the stuff stick? Is the carb pure or high enough content aluminum?

It might not hurt to try?

stuff says it works on pot metal as well which i imagine this is. i picked some up from local harbor freight so we shall see i guess...........

I quickly tried the alumiweld stuff. Definitely has potential but it required the metal to get ~800 degrees to really flow so I was worried about heating the carb up too much. i tried locally heating but it didn't work. really you would have to heat the whole carb.

i found this place online and sent my carb to them

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/_P16629.cfm

looks promising. i can't wait to get it back so i can get it running and get out riding

i'll post update on how it all turns out