Sign in to follow this  

2001 125 yz sloppy front brake

okay, so ive seen lots of posts on this,

my front brake is really spongy, catches a little but then doesnt hold

ive bleed the brake lines twice now, didnt really help

took off the calipers, im barely gettin any movement in the pistons,

after looking at many posts on this forum, ive seen that probably the best solution is to replace my master cylinder, is this right?

ive priced out a master cylinder replacement kit at a local shop, its available to get to

is this the best option? or is there something else i should try

thanks in advance

-josh

I put a Cr125/250 brakeline on mine and routed it CR style inside the fork leg. Definitely gave it a better feel in the lever and helped braking performance a bit. Then again if your master is bad this wont help much

Just buy a CR brake system and put it on your bike. Many have done it with great results

I went the route of using a cr m/c and crf line. It really improved my braking compared to the pile o crap akebono m/c that came stock on my 96.

If the brake is not leaking fluid, you have not bled all of the air out. It is an EXTREMELY time consuming process, even with the right tools (syringe or vacuum bleeder), if you are doing it the old fashioned way (pumping lever, hold, open bleeder) you are unlikely to get all of the air out of there. I would drain the fluid, buy a huge plastic syringe, take off the M/C top and fill the system from the bottom through the bleeder using a syringe and vinyl tubing.

I have had the same probelm with my 02 YZ250, front brake is spungy and no stoping power. I have installed a steel braided brake line with CR routing and the feel is the same. I am thinking it is the master cylinder as well.

It's probably the master cylinder I had this happen to me on my 02 YZ 125 you can bleed the brake all you want your not going to get the pressue back till you rebuild your master cylinder or just swap it out now for a newer one.

alright, thanks to everyone who replied,

after hearing all your responses, and talking to another fellow yz rider, ive come to the conclusion that it must the be master cylinder.

i bought a replacement kit, puttin it in tommrow, hopefully all goes well and ill post on here with the results.

thanks for all your responses

-josh