Sign in to follow this  

YZ250f Suspension for Woods Settings?

I have an 07 YZ250F that I am wanting to trail ride. Mostly medium difficult terrain, has some roots, very little rocks. I believe the stock suspension will works fine for my weight (165-170) after I get the clickers set accordingly. My question is for all you folks that ride your YZ in the woods and have stock suspension. What are you running for clicker settings? I am assuming a low comp and a medium rebound setting? The forks are good to go, the shock is what I'm having the most trouble with. If you could help a guy out I would appreciate it very much.

I weigh more than you (190), so my settings might be a little different. I ride my 07 YZ250F with the compression clickers tuned all the way out on both front and back. The rebound is about stock settings- make sure you are not too fast on the rebound or else the bike will be unstable on those dead-smash type hits (like landing when you are almost stopped).

Also- I turned the high speed compression out about 1/2 turn.

I don't believe there is only one other person running a YZF in the woods. There has to be more of you out there.

When I bought my 03 450 I knew I wasn't going to be racing MX with it an took the forks and rear shock to a suspension expert an had them revalved to suit

my riding needs (Trail riding)

ry%3D400

The setup for off road and for MX are totally different. Once it's dialed in for off road, yea, you can change just a few clicks and stiffen it up or change it to match conditions. My suspension tuner removed some shims in the forks and shock, blue printed the fork valves and dropped the oil level to keep it from deflecting off rocks and roots, then we set the rear sag and started dialing the clickers. I'm in the middle of the settings now, and can adjust as needed for conditions. 2 clicks either way makes a noticable difference. My tuner will work with you. You're about 10 lbs lighter than me so my settings should be in the ballpark for you. PM me and I'll send you his phone.

My setup via my semi-local FCR suspension tuner

2009 YZ250F with a 140# C woods rider...

fork pressure spring 1.3kg/mm (2.2stk)

fork main spring .38kg/mm (.449stk)

350cc oil

compression clicker 12out (9stk)

rebound clicker 12out (9stk)

rear shock spring 5.0kg/mm (5.3stk)

I haven't set the rear shock preload or clickers yet.

I don't have the cash to revalve quite yet. He told me getting the proper spring -platform- is a very good first step.

As far as clickers goes, I've found THIS ARTICLE straight forward and simple enough to use trail-side.

I dont race but I ride mx tracks and trail so my suspension guy gave me a GNCC valving that gives me enough cush in the woods, but stiff enough for the bike to still feel light on the mx track and not bottom out.