Sign in to follow this  

dirt baked onto engine

is there anyway to wash off the dirt that has been baked on the engine? ive tried saturating it with cleaners and scotchbrite, but its not removing it.

Oven cleaner can remove ANYTHING. I used it on my powervalve components and other items that were particularly gnarly.

Most of it I cleaned with WD-40 & scotchbrite.

As its been stated before, be VERY cautious when using oven cleaner, especially on aluminum. I've found using gasoline and a toothbrush actually works extremely well. just do it in a well ventilated area lol

spray nine works good for stains, but there is a point when stains cannot be removed by conventional means 👍

I use spray nine and steel wool, usually gets stains out of mostly anything metal, to a point.

might have to get some polish and a wrag... get to work rubbing it out. I do it to get the black boot rubs off the aluminum frame on mine.

If it's clay based dirt then the colouring could have (not saying it did but it COULD have) eaten into the alloy. I've had a bike like this & I just bought another 1.

There is a way around it but it won't happen overnight. The good news is that it doesn't require a lot of hard work.

Every time you ride your bike, as SOON as you get home, degrease it (even the bits that aren't greasy but are stained or dirty) & then wash it with a heavy duty car wash & a brush. When you're done cleaning & the bike is dry, spray the WHOLE bike (minus plastics) with CRC (or LANOX preferably as it doesn't deteriorate rubber) & only wipe it off the brake rotors. This does 3 things, it keeps the bike shiny, stops dirt from sticking & eats through any existing stains to get to the metal underneath. It has cleaning properties as well as lubricating value. It will take 3 or 4 washes before you start noticing how much cleaner the motor is.