Sign in to follow this  

Rear Tire Size

Hello: Im commuting alot on my XR650L and would really like to put in some street tires on the bike. Does anyone know the largest tire I can fit w/o any problems. I really like the Continental Trail Attack but don't know if 150/70-18 is a too big.

Thanks, really appreciate your input!

Yea, thats too big.Why the facination with the big rear? It would be all show on a bike of that weight. A 120 width will grip just fine. You'll need a wider rim to run a tire like that.

Here's mine

20091115-004.gif

Just got a Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Tire 130/90-18 yesterday. Haven't put it on yet (waiting for the rim strips to come in today) but did a quick compare to the knobby on there now and it looks like it'll be about 3/4" lower and width won't be a problem at all. Hope to have it on today after work. $70.

Thanks guys. 130 sounds good to me.

Still, I do see that the KTM 690 enduro does carry the same rim width and it uses a 140. I wonder if its ok to go that far.

P.S. Why the such a large tire... I still havent figured it out, but I guess its the same as why we make all these changes to the bike : )

Again thanks for the input, really appreciate it

I'm pretty sure I've seen in this forum that someone was using a 150. Can't remember off hand if it was a knobby or less aggressive pattern. Think he only had to remove the chain guard tabs and maybe do something with the flap that prevents the dirt from entering into the pivot area of the swing arm.

I and a few others use a 150/70-18 rear, fits fine and no ill effects.

The only tire I like to run is a 140. I got a 120 Maxis cheap and I kinda like it its pretty wide for a 120. STOCK RIM:ride:

The OP is talking about a street tire. Maybe, it's technically a dual sport but stuffing these tires in a 150 width on a stock rim would deform the profile. They do look nice, and they would probably fit fine, but you should mount them on the size rim they are designed for. Look closely at how wide the rim's dish section is - doesn't look like a stock rim at all.

continental_trail_attack.jpg

Akarob: What tires are on your bike(in the photo)tubed--tubeless?

IXR: Can you guy's PLEASE keep Sean Penn DOWN THERE---we've got enough problems!.---Thanx.

IMNXNYR: Can you show pics of the Shinko tire on your bike!.

Thanx,Gentleman!